Offices & Directories

Purchasing Technology - Students

Q: Should I buy a PC or MAC?
A: Although we cannot tell you which one to buy, the University of Redlands computer network supports both types of platforms. There is an equal split between PC's and MAC'swith the majority of students preferring laptops over desktops.

Q: What computer specifications should I shop for?
A: This is a recommend list of minimum equipment:

Component PC Mac
Processor Dual Core, 2 GHz Dual Core, 2 GHz
Operating System Windows 7 or 8 MAC OS X
RAM 2 - 4 GB 2 - 4 GB
Hard Drive 160 GB SATA 160 GB SATA
Screen Size 14" 13"
Wi-Fi Capable Yes (802.11 b/g/n) Yes (802.11 b/g/n)
Ethernet Card Yes Yes
USB Ports Yes Yes
FireWire Port Optional Optional
On-board Camera Optional Optional

Q: Does the campus have agreements with vendors for discounted computer purchases?
A: The University does have purchasing agreements with both Dell and the Apple store for limited discounts on computers and/or software. 

To view the Educational Pricing, access the Dell Web Site.  

To view the Apple computer prices, access the UoR Customized Apple Store. (note: the Apple Store requires you to login with a valid UoR username and password. For new students, this will be mailed to you in the month of July).

Q: Does the University provide office application software (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) to the student?
A: No, the student is responsible for acquiring their own productivity software. We recommend Office 2007 or 2010 for the PC and Office 2008 or 2011 for the MAC. The bookstore does not sell these programs; we recommend that the student acquire this software prior to coming to school.

Q: Which version of Office should I buy for the PC/MAC?
A: For the PC, either Office 2007 or Office 2008 will suffice; for the MAC we recommend Office 2008.

As an alternative, the student may also obtain OpenOffice, for the price of free. This software is made available to the public as part of the open source initiative headed by the group. OpenOffice is 100% compatible with MS Office. To obtain this software for a PC, download it from the OpenOffice Web Site.  

For the MAC, you may download the software from the OpenOffice Web Site.

Q: Should I buy Anti-virus software?
A: No, you do not have to buy anti-virus software. The University will provide our own anti-virus software to the student, for all PCs (Symantec EndPoint Protection). This software will automatically download to your computer the first time you logon to our network. Mac’s, on the other hand, do not have a requirement to have anti-virus software. They are 100% safe from attacks created for PCs.

Q: I've already purchased an Anti-virus (A-V) software package. Can I use it, instead of the university provided program?
A: Unfortunately, you cannot use your own program on our network. We have standardized on a single program, which is managed centrally from our servers for updating signature updates. Any other program will be incompatible with our servers. You will have to remove your program (usually the trial version), prior to installing the university provided A-V software. You cannot have 2 different A-V programs running on the same computer.

Q: Does the campus have Wi-Fi and is it security-enabled?
A: Yes, the University has Wi-Fi capability in the classrooms, in common areas, as well as in the Residence Halls. In addition, the campus Wi-Fi network is secure across the campus which allows the user to get online with the knowledge that online transactions are protected from being intercepted and compromised.

Q: What is the Wi-Fi standard on campus?
A: Our wireless standard is 802.11b/g/n. Most older computers come with this standard. New computers however may have the newer 802.11 draft N standard. This standard is downward compatible with our b/g network.

Q: How do I join the Wi-Fi network?
A: To access our Wi-Fi network, the student must first setup a security profile on their computer. Instructions can be found online, under the ResNet link on the university’s web page (myRedlands > Blackboard > Students > Campus Resources > ResNet). As a further convenience, the ResNet office will gladly do this configuration for the student.

Q: Does the university provide computer support for the students?
A: The ResNet office was specifically created to help students troubleshoot both software and hardware problems that they might experience while on campus.

Our software support consists of troubleshooting common software symptoms (i.e. virus and/or spyware infections, corrupted PC’s, slow-running PC’s, and OS rebuilds). We will also assist the student with connection of his/her PC in the Residence Halls.

Hardware support is limited. We will diagnose hardware problems and advise the student how to proceed with obtaining servicing under the terms of the warranty agreements.

Q: Do I need to bring a printer to campus?
A: You may, but it is not a necessity. The University has black-and-white laser printing capability in all our student labs on campus. You may print a limited number of your documents, free of charge. Once you have exceeded your printing quota, you may continue printing by purchasing a "print card" for a nominal fee. If you do bring a personal printer, we recommend a printer that can be connected by USB with a small “footprint”, as space is a premium in the residence hall rooms. (We do not recommend wireless printing).

Q: Can I connect my own wireless router to the university network in the Residence Halls?
A: No, you may not connect any other device, (except your PC/MAC) to our residence hall network. A router will conflict with our campus network and may degrade performance for everyone else.

Q: Does the University provide network cables in the Residence Halls?
A: We do not provide network cables in the Res Halls. The student must purchase their own cable, normally 15’-25’ in length. This cable can be bought in most office supply stores, as well as in the campus bookstore. This cable is commonly referred to as Ethernet cable.

Q: Do I need to buy a data backup device for my computer?
A: We highly recommend the use of a backup device for protecting the integrity of your data. The least expensive way to backup is through the built-in CD/DVD writer on your computer. Simply save your data on a regular basis to a CD/DVD. For backing up large amounts of data (i.e. video and music files), we recommend the purchase of an external USB portable hard drive. These devices normally run about $60 for a 320 GB unit and can be purchased at most office supply stores.

Q: How can I best secure my computer from theft?
A: We highly recommend that the student have some way to physically secure the computer by any one of the following three means:

  • Option 1: Buy theft protection through third-party organizations such as LoJack. This organization provides software functionality for the detection and recovery of your laptop. This is a subscription service at a cost of $40 per year.
  • Option 2: For a one-time purchase of $20- $30, students can physically protect their computer from theft through the use of a security cable. Every laptop contains a special receptacle that is designed to connect to one end of the security cable. The other end of the cable is looped around a fixed object in the room. Computer cables are available for purchase in the campus bookstore.
  • Option 3: Students can secure their property by simply closing and locking their dormitory room each time they leave the room. Additionally, each room contains a lockable cabinet that can be used for securing high cost items.

Q: Where is the ResNet office located?
A: The ResNet office can be found on the ground floor, and to the rear, of the library. Operating hours are Mon & Wed, from 8am - 7pm, Tues, Thurs & Fri, from 8am - 5pm, Sat, closed and Sun, 3pm - 5pm.  You may contact the ResNet consultants at (909) 748-8921.

ResNet Office: (909) 748-8921

What started as a freshman prank in 1913?
The giant R

The giant "R" seen on the mountain north of the University that is about one-third the size of the Quad.

More »