Veterans Affairs Specialist/Certifying Official
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Veterans Affairs Specialist/Certifying Official
POSITION CODE: S6960
DEPARTMENT: Office of the Provost
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/20 hours
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $17.64 – $18.68 per hour
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: Six Months
POSTING DATE: August 1, 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Extended to August 22, 2014
DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the Director of Military and Veteran Services, provides information and customer service to students and staff visiting Military and Veteran Services, in a timely and efficient manner. This position requires close adherence to stated Department of Veterans Affairs, government and financial services policies and procedures, and applicable federal and state regulations. This position serves as a Certifying Official for VA Students.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides specialized customer service to members of the various branches of military service, Veterans, and their eligible dependents; relates relevant and accurate information in-person, electronically and by telephone for all inquiries.
- Advocates for students by providing information about the University and assists the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regional offices in the administration of programs and certification of Veteran students enrolled; resolves problems regarding eligibility and payment of VA benefits; submits and updates enrollment certifications, processes enrollment information in the Datatel and VA ONCE systems, and coordinates various VA reports; submits University materials and information to the VA State approving agency.
- Provides current and accurate information to students and staff related to G.I. Bill benefits and appropriate financial aid programs; assists students in the application process for benefits and completion of eligibility requirements.
- Communicates with all departments, changes to federal and state regulations, and university policies pertaining to the Veteran students; maintains the University’s policies and procedures manual and catalog to effectively communicate guidelines that apply to Veteran students concerning eligibility, academic progress and award amount.
- Enters Veteran student records and maintains accuracy of the University's database; works closely with Financial Aid, Student Accounts and the Cashier’s Office to ensure student’s financial records are accurate; maintains files for all Veteran students.
- Supervises Veteran Work Study student(s); and performs additional duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus one (1) additional year college level coursework and one (1) year working with Veterans educational benefits programs. Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Prior military service, experience working in higher education and with a diverse staff desired. Appropriate work experience may be substituted for degree on a year-for-year basis. Successful candidate will have basic knowledge of financial practices and reporting, secretarial procedures, methods and techniques; word processing, spreadsheet, and software programs (Word, Excel, and Outlook), ability to create and maintain spreadsheets is required. Skill in collaborating, organizing and exemplary interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate clearly in writing, verbally, in-person and over the telephone with staff, students, parents, and the public and to be customer-service oriented. Ability to conduct presentations to both small and large groups and interact effectively with on and off-campus contacts. Ability to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff, and alumni is also necessary. In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hr/staff_app.cfm. Applications received after the deadline specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL OUR JOBLINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT
THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER