Grounds Maintenance Worker
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Grounds Maintenance Worker
POSITION CODE: S6954
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/ 40 hours (Mon- Fri 6am- 2:30pm, some weekends required)
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $15.13-$16.02 per hour
AVAILABLE: August 11, 2014
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 6 months
POSTING DATE: July 3, 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Extended to July 25, 2014
DESCRIPTION: Under minimal supervision, maintains the Miraflores Estate grounds and facility. In addition serves as primary response worker for building maintenance work at the house including electrical, plumbing, or carpentry issues as they arise.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs landscape maintenance on the estate and campus including turf, mowing, weeding, edging; plant care and checking for disease, irrigation issues, rakes leaves etc. Replanting as necessary.
- Cares for the special gardens, and other landscape; controls pests through spraying pesticides.
- Oversees irrigation system for maintenance and scheduling.
- Adjusts watering times for automatic clocks and timing switches; shuts off systems as requested for special events on lawns; cleans clogged sprinkler heads, repairs plastic, installs new sprinklers and modifies existing systems; replaces valves, piping, timers, etc. Services irrigation components as needed.
- Assists in set-up for Presidential special events that may include moving/cleaning of outdoor furniture, walkways and supplies and occasional clean-up of trash to enhance estate appearance.
- Responds to maintenance issues including non-technical electrical, plumbing, and carpentry outdoors and inside the estate.
- Creates work orders to ensure priorities are met and all work is completed within departmental standard timelines; documents work performed and accounts for all labor and parts used.
- Meets with sub-contractors regarding scheduled work; tracks and inspects contract assignments.
- Identifies issues and reports them to the appropriate supervisor as soon as possible; adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures; contributes to team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent with one (1) to three (3) years of experience in a similar position. Selected candidate will possess a good knowledge of grounds, irrigation, and landscape and gardening; landscaping maintenance techniques; equipment and of safety regulation and procedures. Successful candidate must possess excellent organizational and communication skills both verbal and written and provide outstanding customer service. Be able to work independently in an outdoor environment, moving around the estate and campus with frequent exposure to all types of weather. Selected candidate will possess a valid Class C driver's license. Candidate must operate a variety of specialized hand and power tools and work at various heights and machinery. Understanding safety requirements including necessity to wear safety shoes/boots; perform physical tasks required; bend, stoop, push, pull and climb. Upon offer of employment, a physical examination must be successfully completed and a current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required. Occasional overtime required on evenings and weekends; responds to on-call service and emergency situations. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed, please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hr/staff_app.cfm. Applications not received prior to the application deadline date specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT THE JOB LINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER