Accounting Manager (Financial Operations Manager)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION OPENING - Revised
POSITION: Accounting Manager (Financial Operations Manager)
POSITION CODE: A6791
DEPARTMENT: Business and Finance
APPOINTMENT: Administrative, full-time, 12 months
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 months
AVAILABLE: No later than October 6, 2014
POSTING DATE: June 20, 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
DESCRIPTION: Under the direction of the Associate Controller, serves as Financial Operations Manager and provides professional level accounting, financial support and leadership for development and implementation of internal controls for the purpose of safeguarding University assets and Financial System data integrity in all areas of the financial operation of the University. Manages and supervises the Accounting, Accounts Payable and Cashiering functions of the Office of Business and Finance. Provides accurate financial data to University Management and Board of Trustees to facilitate management decisions. Ensures compliance with various Federal, state and local taxing authorities and other regulatory agencies.
Duties and responsibilities include but, are not limited to:
- Recognizes when an internal control issue arises, takes necessary steps to correct the issue and recommends appropriate changes; administers internal policies related to financial operations (i.e., mileage rates, cash handling policies, expense reimbursement policies, etc.); maintains policies and communicates changes to the University community.
- Monitors daily cash and ensures proper account coding; understands the University’s cash flow needs; initiates electronic and manual transfers; ensures revenues are recorded accurately; reviews daily cash reports to guarantee transactions are recorded correctly; makes adjustments in a timely manner; liaison between the University and its banking institutions; controls the online banking sites and makes modifications as necessary.
- Administers e-commerce payment processing systems in both the Ellucian system and by the bank; troubleshoots problems and communicates with vendors and bank on corrections.
- Establishes, modifies and adds to chart of accounts; determines appropriate classification of accounts (i.e., assets, liabilities, net asset classes, revenues and expenses, etc.); manages various system maintenance functions.
- Analyzes and evaluates issues on Ellucian Colleague’s Administrative system and interfaces to update modules properly into the Finance module to ensure system integrity; maintains relationships with System Analysts and software vendors to resolve problems; tests and validates changes; interfaces with both internal and external systems.
- Manages system updates in the financial system; supports system users and coordinates scheduled updates and/or system maintenance; maintains accurate financial records, coding and authorization of transactions, ensuring the application of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Holds primary responsibility for ensuring independent auditors receive requested audit documentation timely; prepares, analyzes, and reviews audit work papers for annual audit; assists Director of Financial Operations/Controller and Associate Controller with preparation for the financial audit.
- Prepares various schedules, work papers and confirmation letters for external auditors and provides supporting documents as needed; coordinates closing entries for annual audit; assists external audit firm, providing clarification of transactions, policies and internal practices for all financial operations; assists audit team with questions about accounts payable, cash, and accounting cycles and documents and maintains logs of items given to auditors.
- Coordinates year-end close and recording of accruals/deferrals and reviews documents for completeness, accuracy and proper accounting period and prepares journal entries.
- Prepares, reconciles and requests federal financial aid funds through the Department of Education’s Grants Management Systems on a regular basis; reviews and reconciles Direct Loans, PELL grants, SEOG, Perkins loans and TEACH on a monthly basis.
- Oversees the University’s financial and related compliance requirements, including, but not limited to, 1099’s, 1098’s, sales and use tax, foreign withholding, and PCI Compliance.
- Serves as primary liaison for campus and external constituents on matters pertaining to accounting and financial operations.
- Provides oversight of the Accounting Services Department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with University policies and applicable laws; plans, assigns and oversees work and workflows of department accounting staff and student workers; trains, coordinates activities, recommends discipline, hires, trains and completes performance evaluations; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Maintains department confidentiality of sensitive data, information, activities and decisions; adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree with major in accounting, finance, or related field, CPA preferred, with a minimum of five (5) to eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience, of which three (3) to five (5) years are in accounting, finance, or related field, and has a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles. Significant work experience in accounting or finance in lieu of degree, University/ College, non-profit accounting experience highly desirable. Experience in coordinating an external financial audit or knowledge of the audit process preferred. Advanced knowledge of MS Office tools, Ellucian Colleague Finance modules as well as experience utilizing technology tools to download data, and convert data to MS Office products. Significant technology skills required for electronic file management and download from outside sources and report writing with Synoptix for Ellucian report writer and Business Objects/Crystal Reports. Position requires excellent organizational skills, detail orientation, and excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills, along with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment. Successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership & management skills & the ability to work independently in multi-task oriented environment and competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff. Successful candidate will demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills & the ability to relay financial information in a manner easily understood by non-financial individuals. Must have demonstrated ability to work effectively with confidential information & with minimal supervision. Must have knowledge of state and federal regulations and PCI Compliance. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter, resume, salary history, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references to email@example.com or mail to: Human Resources, University of Redlands, PO Box 3080, Redlands CA 92373-0999.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL OUR JOBLINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER