Grounds Worker II
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING
POSITION: GROUNDS WORKER II
POSITION CODE: S6936
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/ 40 hours
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $12.84 – $14.45 per hour
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 6 months
POSTING DATE: February 14, 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Extended to February 28, 2014
DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision maintains campus lawns and landscape throughout 140 acres of improved grounds.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains campus turf areas by irrigation, mowing, weed-whipping grass and sidewalk areas and edging borders to proper depth.
- Prepares areas; lays sod and sows seed. Aerates and irrigates turf to enhance turf growth.
- Picks up litter and garbage to enhance campus appearance including manicuring of grounds before special events. Cleans up clogged catch basins and roof gutters.
- Maintains trees, shrubs and hedges by planting, pruning, trimming, watering, spraying and weeding. Cleans ground cover and shrub plantings including the removal of volunteer plants, trimming off suckers and dead flower stalks and periodically applying fertilizer and pesticides.
- Pulls weeds by hand, rakes leaves and picks up trash from planter beds.
- Cleans debris from walkways and drives using hand broom or machine blower.
- May repair asphalt driveways and dig trenches using mechanized trenching machine.
- May perform minor non-technical repairs to irrigation system, tools and equipment. Clean Grounds Shop and equipment.
- Performs other related duties or special projects as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent with one (1) to three (3) years of experience in a similar position. Selected candidate will possess a good knowledge of commercial lawn and landscaping maintenance techniques; lawn and landscape maintenance equipment and of safety regulation and procedures; good organizational skills; good communication skills; able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff. Be able to work independently in an outdoor environment, moving around campus with frequent exposure to inclement weather. Selected candidate will possess a valid driver's license. Must be in excellent physical condition, able to bend, stoop, push, pull and climb. Upon offer of employment, a physical examination must be successfully completed and a current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed, please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hr/staff_app.cfm. Applications not received prior to the application deadline date specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT THE JOB LINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE
UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER