Communication Technician (Network Technician)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Communications Technician (Network Technician)
POSITION CODE: S6907
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology Services
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/ 40 hours
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $20.40 - $22.95 per hour
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 6 months
POSTING DATE: July 19, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 2, 2013 Deadline Extended to: August 30, 2013
DESCRIPTION: Under minimal supervision, provides technical support (installation and maintenance) and services to all campus communications related to equipment, network, and telecom infrastructure. Position provides a campus interface between outside vendors, telephone and data communications companies.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides technical user support of all campus communications-related data equipment, AVAYA telephone switch, voicemail system and wiring infrastructure within Information Technology Services on communications (voice and data) related projects.
- Maintains user database administration; performs line and directory number administration for both AVAYA and modular messaging mail systems.
- Performs techniques and procedures of installation and maintenance for various forms of networks, voice, and data including new telecommunication equipment, line drivers; riser and OSP cabling; tests new and existing cable plant with Fluke tester.
- Works with outside vendors on new equipment and projects.
- Sets up voicemail, installs and removes conference telephones as needed.
- Adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Contributes to Team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Performs other related duties or special projects as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent with two (2) to three (3) years of additional coursework in a related field and three (3) to five (5) years of related experience in a similar position or an equivalent combination thereof. Must have considerable knowledge of telecommunications, electronic switching, voicemail systems and data communications. Basic knowledge in use of hand and power tools. Position requires excellent organizational and communication skills; the ability to interpret and apply a variety of rules, regulations and procedures; work cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors, students and on and off campus contacts. Position requires the ability to work independently with good judgment on complex projects with no supervision. Ability to work at varying heights and small spaces such as attics and crawl spaces; lift up to 50 lbs. or more. Systimax certification and experience with Panduit surface raceway products is a plus. Upon offer of employment, a physical examination must be successfully completed and a current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required. Must possess a valid Class C driver's license. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed, please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hr/staff_app.cfm. Applications not received prior to the application deadline date specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT THE JOB LINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE
UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER