International Students & Scholars Program Assistant (Office Assistant)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING (CONTRACT)
POSITION: International Students and Scholars Program Assistant (Office Assistant)
POSITION CODE: S6905
DEPARTMENT: Campus Diversity and Inclusion
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/ 20 hours
STARTING SALARY: $11.33 per hour
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 6 months
POSTING DATE: July 12, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Extended to: August 2, 2013
DESCRIPTION: Under supervision, the International Students and Scholars Program Assistant will plan and implement cultural activities and other events on and off campus for international students and scholars.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and directs a two day-long International Student Orientation and coordinates ground transportation and residence hall check-in.
- Organizes informational workshops and plans other social activities to bring together international and American students and scholars for educational and social purposes.
- Helps develop handouts and workshop materials. Creates promotional materials for programs and events.
- Updates and ensures that website content is accurate with appropriate information and documents.
- Work with the Redlands International Students Association (RISA).
- Visits the regional campuses to meet with international students to provide appropriate and relevant information, advice and support.
- Provides services to students and scholars to make their transition to the university and the community a smooth and successful one including dissemination of community information, and assisting with services such as transportation, banking, visits to governmental offices, etc.
- Functions as a resource person/mentor/advisor on areas such as cultural adaptation, health, travel, immigration, and any other issues that might affect international students and scholars.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent with one (1) year of additional course work of similar work with international issues in an educational setting and one (1) to three (3) years of related experience. The ideal candidate is committed to an understanding of the values of higher education, student and community development, and internationalization. Candidate must possess cross cultural sensitivity, excellent interpersonal and organizational and commitment to creating successful teaching and learning environment for students using strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to work independently, handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously. Flexibility to adjust work schedule and work non-traditional hours to meet the needs of students and staff is necessary. A copy of a valid Class C driver’s license with a current DMV printout with a good driving record will be required upon date of hire. Selected candidate will be required to obtain a Class B driver’s license during employment. Competitive candidates will show experience to mediate situations and employ diplomacy regularly. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed, please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hr/staff_app.cfm. Applications not received prior to the application deadline date specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT THE JOB LINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE
UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER