Energy Center Operator
ANNOUNCEMENT OF STAFF POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Energy Center Operator
POSITION CODE: S6892
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
MONTHS/HOURS: 12 months/40 hours; shift work required
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $19.44 - $21.87 per hour
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: Six Months
POSTING DATE: March 1, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 8, 2013
DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision, operates and maintains all related mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment associated with the efficient operation of a 1,500 kilowatt cogeneration plant, including a natural gas driven reciprocating engine, electrical generator, absorption and electric chillers.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains, monitors, and adjusts the operation of the reciprocating Caterpillar Engine and Kato Generator, boilers, chillers, air compressors, cooling towers, pumps, valves and auxiliary equipment, responsible for all maintenance and repair of two portable and seven in-place generators on campus.
- Performs preventative, technical and general maintenance work on equipment and systems, troubleshoots, services and repairs the mechanical equipment housed in the Energy Center, including cogeneration equipment, generators, fans, compressors, water level controls, chillers, and boilers.
- Performs corrective & preventive maintenance as scheduled. Logs equipment problems & notifies Energy Center Lead of needed repairs.
- Operates campus energy management systems.
- Reads gauges, utilizes electronic testing equipment and instruments, making log entries of technical data into the Energy Management computer in order to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Maintains records of operation conditions and actions taken.
- Assists Energy Center staff with complex and major repairs/modifications. Responds to campus facility needs after normal duty hours and in emergency situations.
- Adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures. Maintains security of utility plant and “drive through” gates in compound.
- Contributes to Team Effort by accomplishing related duties as needed. Performs other duties and special projects as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent supplemented by two (2) to three (3) year of additional course work or training in electrical, mechanical and technical fields with minimum of three (3) to five (5) years experience in a similar position, or an equivalent combo. Must have experience with reciprocating engines, centrifugal compressors, low pressure boilers, and absorption chillers. Selected candidate will possess considerable knowledge of all preventative maintenance practices including plumbing, heating and air conditioning maintenance systems; OSHA/CAL OSHA rules and regulation from the SCAQMD regarding emissions; and all safety rules and regulations. Must be able to work independently and possess good problem-solving skills; possess good verbal and written communication skills; good organizational skills; ability to work cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors and campus contacts. Able to interpret and apply a variety of rules, regulations and procedures; read and understand technical manuals, blueprints and schematics; be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff. Position requires the physical agility to perform the required duties in a safe and productive manner, to utilize and operate a variety of specialized tools and equipment. Selected candidate will possess a valid driver's license and demonstrate a good driving record with a current DMV printout after offer of employment; a physical examination must be successfully completed. In compliance with The Americans with Disability Act if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form http://redlandsapps.redlands.edu/hrstaff_app.cfm. Applications received after the deadline specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL OUR JOBLINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION INDICATES AN AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY
MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER