ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Technical Director
POSITION CODE: A6696
DEPARTMENT: Theater Arts
APPOINTMENT: Administrative, full-time, 12 months
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 months
POSTING DATE: September 28, 2012
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
DESCRIPTION: The Technical Director is responsible for managing, supervising and overseeing all technical aspects of Theatre Arts Department productions. Position is responsible for supporting the artistic vision of directors and designers as it relates to the advancement, budgeting, and realization of set, lighting and sound designs. Importantly, the Technical Director provides formal and informal instruction to the students in specialization areas which include “Introduction to Theatre Technology”, and “Scene Painting.” Additionally, the Technical Director supervises staff, work-study, student crews, manages facility and equipment, and assists the Director of Production in budgeting and scheduling.
Duties and responsibilities include but, are not limited to:
- Maintains a clear understanding of all aspects of production in order to facilitate scenic, lighting and sound needs throughout the build, rehearsal, technical rehearsal, running, and closing of each production and special events.
- Works with designers, directors, and production management to manage and maximize the artistic and educational impact of department resources. Assess designs, create materials and labor estimates.
- Hires, trains, and supervises staff and students in the preparation, load-in, and maintenance of shows.
- Evaluates staff and work study students, provides necessary feedback, and makes recommendations for periodic raises, advancement, etc.
- Organizes and administrates the implementation of the shop calendar, follows-through on design deadlines, scheduling and coordinating staff, and coordinating and supervising the construction of all scenic elements for each production.
- Works with Director of Production to provide and maintain a safe working environment, including managing and providing training, equipment, record keeping, and incident reporting.
- Manages and participates, as necessary, in changeovers, technical rehearsals, and previews to manage technical needs, assist designers, monitor and aid staff and students, and collaborate with all production personnel in attendance.
- Teaches two to three academic courses each year in Theater Arts.
- Works as a collaborative member of a team of directors, designers and performers, making suggestions and sharing ideas to solve problems, improve product, and facilitate changes.
- Responsible for reading show reports, rehearsal reports, and season calendars. Follow-up on applicable details/notes and communicate information to supervisors and staff as appropriate.
- Attends staff, production, and department meetings, as necessary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required (master’s degree preferred), plus 3-5years experience in an educational theatre setting or related field of experience or equivalent combination thereof. Successful candidate will have knowledge of methods, equipment, and materials used in the technical operations of theatre production; technical requirements of theatre productions, including lighting, sound, and scenery; operation and maintenance of specialized theatre production equipment; practices of training and providing work direction; and safety regulations and procedures. Interest and ability to work with students and to maintain a cooperative work environment. Evening and/or weekend work will be required. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff. In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter, resume, salary history, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references to email@example.com or mail to:
University of Redlands
PO Box 3080
Redlands CA 92373-0999
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL OUR JOBLINE AT 909/748-8883 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER