Offices & Directories

Frequently Asked Questions


If I didn't purchase the Student Insurance Plan, can I still use the Student Health Center?
Yes! The services at the Student Health Center are available to any currently enrolled University of Redlands student. You don't have to purchase the Student Insurance plan to be seen at the Health Center. Medical visits are free; however, there is a charge for lab tests, immunizations and prescription medications.

What happens if I don't turn in my health questionnaire, insurance verification form, copy of insurance card or immunization verification form on time?
Your registration process will be delayed and during check-in you will have to visit the Student Health Center station to resolve any delinquencies. A $250.00 late fee will be charged to your student account if the student immunization verification form is not turned in by the dates listed in your Welcome information.  The fee will repeat every month thereafter until the delinquencies are satisfied.

We moved a lot during my childhood and I can't access my complete immunization records. What should I do?
If you attended school in the United States, your last school may have a record of your required immunizations. If you are unable to provide documentation of your immunizations, you will need to have lab tests that will indicate you were inoculated and/or additional vaccinations to get you current on your immunizations.

Do I need an appointment to be seen at the Health Center?
Yes. Appointments are required for all services; however, the Student Health Center will attempt to accommodate walk-ins. However, those who walk-in may have to make a future appointment, wait or be referred. Students with appointments will be seen on a priority basis over non-emergent walk-ins. To guarantee your visit, call ahead please! (909 748-8021).

What is a mantoux (PPD) skin test?
PPD is a purified antigen from the tuberculosis (TB) bacteria. It is injected under the skin and causes a local skin reaction if the individual has had previous exposure to TB. The PPD skin test is available free of charge to College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate students.

Can my parents find out what treatment I'm receiving at the Health Center?
Medical information may not be released without the written consent of the patient. If parents have questions or concerns, health center staff can answer generalized questions, but cannot violate patient confidentiality that is protected by law. Students are responsible for notifying parents or guardians of their condition, except in the case of a serious emergency.

I'm on several prescription medications. Can I obtain these medications at the Health Center?
The Student Health Center does not have a pharmacy. However, a local pharmacy, Beeman's Pharmacy, will deliver prescription medications to the Student Health Center free of charge, Monday-Friday by 3:30 p.m. All prescription orders must be submitted to the pharmacy by 11:30 a.m. in order to be delivered the same day.

Contact information for the pharmacy: 
Beeman's Pharmacy 
255 Terracina Blvd., Suite 103
Redlands, CA  92373
Tele: (909) 792-2300
Fax: (909) 792-7171

Rarely, Beeman's Pharmacy cannot bill out of state health insurance. If transferring prescriptions, please verify your insurance coverage is accepted by Beeman's Pharmacy.

Beeman's Pharmacy is willing to keep a parent’s or student’s credit card number on file and bill prescription refills to the credit card.

What health services are offered free of charge to all students regardless of insurance?
Services offered at no charge include:

  • Health exams (acute illnesses and stable chronic diseases)
  • Women’s health exams
  • Evaluation and treatment of injuries
  • First aid
  • Referrals to specialist
  • Health education
  • Sport physicals
  • Allergy injections
  • Phenergan injections (anti-vomiting medicine)
  • Toradol injections (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine for acute moderate to severe pain)
  • Rocephin injection (antibiotic indicated for moderate to severe infections)
  • Kenalog injection (steroid medicine for moderate to severe allergy reaction)
  • Albuterol med-nebulizer treatment (treatment for asthma exacerbation or bronchitis)
  • TB screening (undergraduate students)
  • Urinalysis (screening for urinary tract infections)
  • Anemia screening
  • Individualized over-the-counter medication packs
  • Loaning of crutches/wheelchairs

What services are offered for a fee?

  • The following services are available for a fee:
  • PAP Smear
  • Laboratory tests
  • Immunizations
  • Limited supply of low cost prescription medications
  • Contraceptive care (Emergency contraception, oral contraception, Depo Provera)
  • TB screening (graduate students)

When and how do I pay for Student Health Center fees?
Payment is expected at time of service. Credit card, check, and cash are all accepted. If a student is unable to pay at time of service, he or she may sign a promissory note. All promissory notes must be paid within one week of service. Failure to pay within one week will result in the fee being forwarded to Student Accounts and a $20 processing fee will be added.

How do I obtain an excusal for class or work due to a health problem?
Students requiring a note of excusal will need to make an appointment for evaluation of the condition. Individuals with observable signs of moderate to severe illness, disease or injury will receive a letter of excusal. Please note, professors and/or employers are not obligated to accept the excusal from the Student Health Center Provider. Persons without observable signs of poor health or those with mild signs of illness, disease or injury will not receive an excusal.

Thurber really knows his stuff.

Thurber learned The Och Tamale when he was just a pup. Don't know it yet?

Listen now »