Offices & Directories

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to reapply for Financial Aid every year?

Yes! Student Financial Services depends on the timely completion of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so that we may award you with aid for each academic year. The deadline for receipt of the FAFSA each year is March 2nd. You may complete your FAFSA online.

How will my Financial Aid be disbursed?

Financial Aid is disbursed directly to each student's account near the beginning of each applicable term. Students who have grants and loan monies will typically receive disbursements equally divided between fall and spring semesters unless otherwise indicated on the student award letter.

I am going to receive scholarship funds from an outside source. Do I need to report the funds to Student Financial Services?

Yes, all sources of financial aid must be reported to Student Financial Services. If you are receiving external resources such as scholarships you will need to send verification of the scholarship to our office. You may fax, e-mail, or mail the official documentation.

How will my Financial Aid Package be affected if I live/move off-campus?

Changes to your residency status should be reported to Student Financial Services; however, they do not usually directly impact your financial aid package. There are, however, rare exceptions. In such cases our office will make every attempt to adjust loan aid before making adjustments to grant monies.

Will Student Financial Services release my student information to my parents?

Student Financial Services takes great care in safeguarding your personal information in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). We do not release protected personal information unless specifically authorized to do so.

All students who wish to have their information accessible by parents or other designated persons must complete the FERPA Release Form. For more information, please visit The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act web site.

What should I do if my family has a reduction in income, or other change of circumstances, after we have filed the FAFSA?

Certain changes in family circumstances may affect a family's ability to pay educational expenses and can be used as the basis for a Special Circumstances Review. Eligible circumstances for review include, but are not limited to, loss or reduction of employment, separation or divorce and loss of benefits such as social security or child support.

Request for review must be documented using the Special Circumstances form. Students who wish to be considered for an appeal must file a FAFSA before the appeal can be considered. Requests will be reviewed by Student Financial Services committee and will receive a decision in approximately two weeks sent via U.S. Mail.

What if I didn't receive work-study as part of my award package? Can I still find a job on campus?

Students who do not receive work study as part of their package may go to the Student Financial Services after the first two weeks of classes and file an application to appeal for vacant positions. Students may interview and receive a referral for positions for which they are qualified and have interest. Student Financial Services will make every effort to accommodate requests; however, work-study cannot be guaranteed as positions may not always be vacant, and financial aid packages vary by student.

How can I get money to pay for my textbooks?

Student Financial Services makes every attempt to package students to cover maximum educational expenses; however, textbooks may not be specifically covered unless additional loans and/or payments are made to the extent that they create a credit on your student account. Textbooks may be purchased via a number of retailers and are not payable directly to the University. If you wish to have additional funds to cover books, consider funding your account with loans in excess of fixed expenses payable directly to the University.

Most students who wish to pay for textbooks with financial aid apply for loans in excess of their tuition and fees and request their credit from Student Financial Services. Please keep in mind that credit proceeds are not available until the first week of each semester, or as soon as we are in receipt of the funds. Students who need to purchase textbooks before that time will need to make separate arrangements until such time as the credit check can be requested.

I have a credit on my student account. How (or when) do I get the funds?

Available credit balances will be processed and mailed within 14 days of when the credit occurred and will be mailed to your Local or Preferred mailing address. For more information, please contact Student Financial Services at (909) 748-8047 or

What steps do I take if I need a ninth semester of aid?

Financial Aid policies dictate that students are eligible for a maximum of eight semesters of institutional aid, or, the pro-rated amount remaining for transfer students. In the rare event that you are unable to complete your program of studies within eight semesters you must petition to receive a ninth semester of financial aid.

Petitions are located in the Office of the Registrar and must be completed by both the student and academic advisor. Students must complete a major evaluation and include a statement explaining circumstances meriting an additional semester of aid. Only petitions substantiating need due to circumstances beyond the student's control will be considered. Also, students may not petition for additional aid for the sole purpose of studying abroad or completing a double major.

Completed petitions should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and will be forwarded to Student Financial Services.

Please note: Ninth semester appeals may take up to two weeks to process. Final decisions will be communicated via Redlands e-mail or a letter sent U.S. Mail.

Do you know the Och Tamale?
bulldog athletics logo

The non-sensical Och Tamale chant was originally titled the "Psalm of Collegiate Thanksgiving."

More »