Redlands Alum on Project Runway
A Focus on Fashion
Malvin Vien '07 may no longer be a contestant on Project Runway, but his passion for fashion didn't end with last week's show. Learn to feel your best with Malvin's top six fashion tips:
- Don't over-think it. Fashion should be impulsive, a personal expression. So do not dress to impress or conform to some narrative that promises "success and happiness." Set your own standards.
- Never be ashamed about your body, so pay attention to your health. Exercise. Eat. Enjoy life.
- I believe your clothes should have a history. So rock out in your pass-me-downs.
- Be cognizant of professional fashion requisites, but don't settle on a suit because it's a suit....
- You should be buying clothes that you will wear through and through. Having a closet full of clothes you never wear shows you're not confident in who you are.
- Don't live up to the stereotypes that categorize you.... Just because you were given the color blue at birth doesn't mean you have to be a "boy." Have the courage to wear what makes you feel right.