Inaugural Pow Wow
University of Redlands Student Native Programs will host Inaugural Powwow
Traditional Native American gathering is open to the public
REDLANDS, Mar. 27, 2014 – University of Redlands Native Student Programs will host its inaugural Powwow on Saturday, March 29 and Sunday, March 30, 2014 at the University of Redlands Quad. The inaugural pow wow is a traditional Native American event that features Native American dance, drumming and singing from tribes of the plains region of the United States. Singers and dancers will be coming from around the country and Canada to participate in this event.
The University of Redlands Powwow 2014 will begin at noon on both days of the event and will feature grand entries at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 29 and 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 30. The powwow will open with traditional bird songs and dances from the tribes local to Southern California. Sponsors for this event include the Native American Resource Center of Highland.
Head Staff will include:
- Master of Ceremonies, Ruben Littlehead, Happy Flats, Mont.
- Arena Director, Rusty Gillette, Falls Church, Va.
- Host Northern Drum, War Scout, West Valley City, Utah
- Host Southern Drum, Bucwild, Chinle, Ariz.
- Invited Northern Drum, Bear Spring Singers, Beaumont, Calif.
- Invited Southern Drum, Hale and Company, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Head Man Dancer, Skyle McMichael, La Jolla, Calif.
- Head Woman Dancer, Star Whiteeye, Ontario, Canada
The powwow will include dance contests in various categories and award cash prizes. Each category will have cash prizes for the top four dancers which will range from $700 to $300. The categories include:
- Golden Age (Men 50+)
- Golden Age (Women 50+)
- Men and Women (18-49): Northern Traditional, Southern Traditional, Grass, Chicken, Fancy, Jingle
- Boys and Girls (7-17): Traditional, Grass, Fancy, Jingle
- Tiny Tots paid daily
WHAT: University of Redlands Inaugural Powwow
WHEN: March 29-30, 2014 at noon.
- Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Sunday, March 30, 2014 at 1 p.m.
WHERE: University of Redlands, Quad - Located across the Memorial Chapel - 1200 East Colton Ave, Redlands, CA 92373
This event is free and open to the public