Bulldogs in Service
University of Redlands Bulldogs to Unite and Serve Southern California
Alumni, Staff, Students and Friends of the University will participate in community service projects throughout the Southland on Sept. 28
REDLANDS, Aug. 22, 2013- On Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013 Bulldogs will show their commitment to serving their local communities as University of Redlands students, alumni, faculty, family and friends will serve Southern California and the nation for the sixth annual Bulldogs in Service Day. This day will include seven services opportunities throughout the Inland Empire.
This year, Bulldogs will participate in 26 different services projects in 23 American cities. Participants of Bulldogs in Service Day will serve communities across the nation stretching from Kailua, Hawaii to New York City. Other major American cities with community service locations include: Los Angeles, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, New York and Washington D.C.
University of Redlands students, parents, faculty and alumni are encouraged to sign up for the projects and events in their area or, engage in independent service in their own community in the spirit of the day.
Service projects in the Inland Empire for this year include:
San Bernardino County
- Family Services Association of Redlands- Volunteers will help to clean and organize the Family Services center.
- My Book Program – (On Campus- Jones Computer Center) Johnston Center will prepare and label books for children.
- Stop Hunger Now (On Campus- University Hall) – Help to package non-perishable foods for starving kids in the US and abroad.
- Save the R Hike (On Campus-Meets at Chapel) - Take an early morning hike to help clean and refurbish the “R”. This activity will take place on Nov. 2, 2013.
- Sunshine Early Childhood Center – Help build an above ground garden area.
- Western Eagle Foundation Community Food Bank – Volunteers will stock shelves and assemble food boxes for those in need.
- NDR Therapeutic Riding Center- Help to run activities and interact with kids at this developmentally disabled children riding center.
Los Angeles County
San Pedro, Calif.
- Ronald McDonald House- Help with light cleaning and lead arts and craft activities.
- Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy- Activities will include weeding, watering and repairing eroding trails
Newport Beach, Calif.
- Fullerton Arboretum- Volunteers will assist with gardening tasks and will help restore new pathways
- Newport Beach Bay Preserve- Help restore a viable habitat for native wildlife. Children 14 and up are welcome with a parent or guardian.
San Clemente, Calif.
- El Modena High School Nature Center- Beautify the Nature Center at El Modena High which provides resources for students K-12 to learn about water conservation and ecological principles.
- Poche Beach Cleanup- Join Bulldogs and their families as they gather to clean up Poche Beach
To register for a service project in your area please call 909-748-8011 or visit bulldogconnect.redlands.edu.