GIS Infusion in the School of Business
Redlands School of Business students benefit from the university’s strong background in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – the mapping technology increasingly used to solve problems and find solutions in business and beyond.
School of Business students are pushed to develop and strengthen their spatial literacy, considering ways that information might be organized and problems solved through expressions of space, including mapping and remote sensing.
Students within the School of Business, including students in the university’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, might use the latest GIS tools to explore ways to more effectively market products, to determine where to place new stores or services, or how to adjust delivery routes to make them more efficient.
The GIS Certificate focuses on producing management professionals who can analyze and resolve complex business problems utilizing spatial information and analysis. Students have the flexibility to develop their capabilities with spatial and geographic approaches to the analysis of business activities.
Major topics include:
- Management of geographic information
- GIS in public policy and regulation and the consequences for business
- Market segmentation and target marketing using GIS as a decision making tool
- GIS assessment for entering international markets and global sourcing
- Effective strategic management using geographic information and GIS