ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Director of Media Relations
POSITION CODE: 3627
DEPARTMENT: University Communications
APPOINTMENT: Administrative, Full-time 12 months
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
POSITION AVAILABLE: Immediately
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 Months
POSTING DATE: October 14, 2016
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer (CCO) and supervising two (2) full time employees (FTEs), the Director of Media Relations and/or his/her staff designee serves as the initial, and usually the primary and ongoing, media and public relations contact for the University, serving the College of Arts and Sciences, the graduate and professional schools, and a wide variety of departmental needs and opportunities. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• To increase/improve institutional awareness and perception and support/enhance student recruitment and University advancement, articulate and promote the University’s brand and distinction through strategic identification, development, and dissemination of news and information. Identify major stories and pitch them to top-tier and national/international outlets. Develop those stories and press materials, and perform messaging and copywriting/editing as needed for vehicles including the Web site, social media, and the University magazine.
• Develop and execute annual media relations plans and key messages that support the University’s mission and objectives, establish metrics, and help the CCO to report regularly on achievements.
• Cultivate long-term reporter and outlet relationships and strong ongoing relationships with the University personnel whose expertise and specific stories will be offered to those media.
• Proactively explore and leverage emerging media opportunities such as Reddit AMA, podcasts such as Academic Minute, and blogs and other website postings such as college lists.
• Supervise experienced FTEs focusing on daily news operations and local/regional contacts and opportunities as well as social media strategy and management of the University’s presence on a variety of social media platforms.
• Develop and oversee day-to-day operations and relationships regarding the University’s media relations policies, procedures, and technologies, including media research and monitoring services, media relations consultants, media training, etc.
• Work with University-wide colleagues to identify what is newsworthy, and work with University Communications colleagues to secure and support – through development and delivery of informational, creative, visual and multimedia materials – ongoing, positive story placements on a local, regional, national, and international level, as well as in specialized and targeted publications.
• Develop and oversee an “editorial calendar” of story opportunities, and monitor and act upon media outlets’ known editorial opportunities (e.g., special story focuses, awards, accolades, experts’ opportunities, op-ed and speaking opportunities, etc.)
• Track current events to identify and leverage opportunities to place University of Redlands experts in the media; suggest and assist with op ed pieces on trending topics.
• Prepare experts/other spokespersons as needed (e.g., backgrounders, key messages, interview coaching, etc.)
• Join the CCO in supporting the President on his external communications plan and individual activities.
• Support the CCO in executing the role of primary spokesperson on sensitive/emergency/crisis communications, and in working with other Cabinet members, the President, and other crucial functions including Public Safety, on such communications.
• Work with the CCO to develop and continually improve the University’s crisis communication planning and execution.
• Serve as Public Information Officer when the University’s formal emergency communication structure is activated.
• Serve as backup to the CCO as primary spokesperson, internal or external, when the CCO is not available.
• Assist with public relations and outreach as needed.
• Stay current with public relations, media relations, and social media trends, issues and opportunities, and serve as a valued resource to the CCO and Cabinet, University Communications staff, and the broader University community, to understand and navigate the changing media landscape.
• Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Requires Bachelor's degree plus six (6) years’ media relations experience and solid, demonstrated understanding of both new and traditional media. A degree in communications or journalism, and a Master’s degree, are highly desirable. Higher education experience preferred. External spokesperson experience required; knowledge of and work with broadcast media required; integrated marketing and communications exposure/experience highly desirable. Successful candidate will have excellent media/journalistic writing, a proactive approach, and strong editing/proofreading skills, as well as media contacts -- preferably including state and national contacts -- with a portfolio of work samples. Personnel supervision experience required. A collaborative, highly articulate, and creative strategist, the successful candidate will be an effective, full-time media outreach program leader, and a people manager/influencer with an inclusive, collaborative style (e.g., with faculty experts, Administration and Communications colleagues, etc.). Discretion and trustworthiness are crucial. The candidate is capable, comfortable, and willing to serve as a strong strategic and operational right-hand and deputy to the CCO. Successful candidate must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909/748-8040.
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references through the University of Redlands Administrator application form: https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRAdministratorEmployment/.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 909/748-8040 OR VISIT http://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/employment/.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER