Academic Interests and Areas of Expertise
- Flute performance and music education
- Concerto soloist
- Studio recording artist
- Chamber music
- Symphonic orchestra player
- Opera, ballet and broadway orchestral player
- Ethnic flutes
- Piano and vocal background
Courses Offered at Redlands
- Artist Diploma, Yale School of Music
- M.M., University of Southern California
- B.A., California State University, San Bernardino
Flutist Sara Andon is an international soloist and recording artist known for her ravishing tone and deeply engaging musical interpretations. A versatile performer in many music genres including solo, chamber, symphonic, opera, ballet, new music, jazz and Broadway, she has performed all over the world in major concert venues, TV and radio broadcasts, as well as on many video game soundtracks. documentaries and motion picture soundtracks.
Ms. Andon has performed with several American and International orchestras including the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Orqestra Sinfonica de Tenerife, Macau Orchestra in China, Transatlantyk International Film Music Festival in Poznan, Poland; Pasadena Symphony, Tulsa Opera, New West Symphony, Los Angeles Master Chorale, California Philharmonic, Pasadena Pops, New Haven Symphony, Orchestra New England, San Francisco Western Opera Theater, Miami City Ballet Touring Orchestra and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. She has worked with such world-renowned conductors as Kurt Masure, David Zinman, John Mauceri, Jorge Mester, Jeffrey Kahane, Diego Navarro, Lu Jia, and Esa-Pekka Salonen.
Ms. Andon has performed with the orchestras for many Broadway musicals including Les Misérables, Disney’s Beauty And The Beast and the critically acclaimed hit Broadway show Wicked (L.A. Company).
Her countless film score recordings include Marco Beltrami’s The Wolverine, Die Hard 5: A Good Day To Die Hard, Trouble With The Curve, The Thing; Joseph Trapanese's Echo, Joseph Bishara The Conjuring, Rolfe Kent’s Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Lalo Schifrin’s Rush Hour 3, James Newton Howard’s The Bourne Legacy, Aaron Zigman’s Sex In The City II, Daft Punk’s Tron and the acclaimed documentary No Place On Earth. Her recent recording work for video games includes the Grammy-nominated blockbuster game Journey, along with World Of Warcraft, Star Craft II, WildStar, X-COM and League of Legends. She also records for many Disney projects including the new show Mickey's Magical Map at Disneyland. Andon also took part in composer Christopher Lennertz fund-raising recording and concert Symphony of Hope: The Haiti Project.
As a soloist and chamber musician, Ms. Andon has performed throughout the United States, Italy, France, England, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Spain/Tenerife, Greece and China including performances at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall, Merkin Hall (NYC), St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, CBS Sunday Morning, Universal Amphitheater, Hollywood Bowl and Walt Disney Hall in L.A.
Ms. Andon has performed for the world's largest movie sound track label, Varese Sarabande in live concerts including four pieces with the Macau Orchestra in China in February 2013 for the concert Hollywood Love Stories — Great Romantic Film Music at the Venetian Macau Resort. Also, this past May 2013, she joined Varèse Sarabande's series of concerts celebrating the label's 35th anniversary with the Golden State Pops Orchestra in Los Angeles performing a selection of film music classics written or arranged for solo flute, including Alex North's Spartacus Love Theme, arranged just for her by Lee Holdridge as well as To Kill a Mockingbird of Elmer Bernstein arranged by Austin Wintory. In July 2013, she was also was invited to perform with both the Orqestra Sinfonica de Tenerife and also the Big Band de Canarias (for a jazz tribute to composer Elmer Bernstein), as part of the international film music festival Fimucité (www.fimucite.com). And in August 2013, she was invited as a guest soloist in Poznan, Poland, part of the Transtlantyk Film and Film Music Festival (www.transatlantyk.org) featuring many fine art exhibits, seminars and concerts. And Oct 2013 she will be a soloist again with the Golden State Pops Orchestra (www.gspo.com) for the Varese Sarabande Celebration Halloween Gala, performing works by Academy-award winning composer, Georges Delerue "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "Ghostbusters" for Flute and Orchestra of Elmer Bernstein, arranged for her by award-winning film, TV and song writer, Randy Edleman.
She has been a featured soloist at numerous American music festivals including the Ojai Music Festival (CA), Norfolk Chamber Music Festival (CT), Grand Teton Music Festival (WY), Music at Penn’s Woods (PA), Sunriver Music Festival (OR) and the Los Angeles Bach Festival.
Other solo performances include “Sundays Live at Six” at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, most recently with Sarah Jackson, flutist and piccoloist with the L.A. Philharmonic and Barry Gold, cellist with the L.A. Philharmonic, on an all-Haydn program, and on the “Jacaranda — Music At The Edge Series” in Santa Monica. Ms. Andon was invited to perform the Double Flute Concerto by Steven Stucky (Pulitzer-Prize winning composer, New Music Consultant-L.A. Philharmonic and composer-in-residence with the London Philharmonia Orchestra) with world-renowned flutist Ransom Wilson at Zipper Hall in downtown Los Angeles.
Sara Andon has made many other solo appearances performing various concerti by J.S. Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Griffes, Arnold with several southland orchestras & chamber ensembles including the Redlands Symphony & Mozart Classical Orchestra of Orange County performing the and Mozart Flute and Harp Concerto, k.299 and the Mozart Concerto in ‘D’ Major, K. 314 with her own original cadenzas
In addition to many motion picture sound tracks, she can be heard on several chamber/solo recordings including solo flute on a new Placido Domingo CD, Lee Holdridge, arranger; J.S. Bach Complete Trios Sonatas , Mozart Duos for Two Flutes, op.75 (1-6), W.F. Bach - Complete Sonatas for Two Flutes (Cantilena Records), Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire (Centaur Records), and a new flute concerto by LA composer, Bevan Manson with the Hollywood Studio Orchestra, and also has recorded for Kelly Clarkson, Daft Punk and R.M.E.
Ms. Andon received her post-graduate Artist Diploma from Yale University studying with Ransom Wilson, international soloist and her Masters of Music in Flute Performance at USC studying with Janet Ferguson and Jim Walker (weekly masterclasses), both former principal flutists of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Her earliest flute studies were with the acclaimed flutist/piccoloist, Candice Palmberg. Other masterclasses include: Jeffrey Khaner, William Bennett, Paula Robison, Judith Mendenhall, Walfried Kujala, Jeanne Baxtresser, Mindy Kaufman, Mark Sparks, Marina Puccinini and Julius Baker.
She is also Principal/Solo Flute of the Redlands Symphony and is the Artist Teacher of Flute at the University of Redlands School of Music and Idyllwild Arts Academy. In addition, she is the solo flutist with the newly formed contemporary music ensemble Brightwork, composed of flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano and percussion and is the Woodwind Coordinator for the Los Angeles Philharmonic Young Composers Fellowship Program, Mentors: Steven Stucky, John Adams, James Matheson and A.J. McCaffrey.
Previous Teaching Experience
- Yale School of Music:
- Graduate Assistant - Hearing and Analysis Department
- Teaching Assistant in Flute to Ransom Wilson - International Flute Soloist
- University of Southern California - Teaching Assistant in Ear Training
- California State University - Teaching Assistant in Ear Training
- Claremont Community School - Flute Instructor
- University of Redlands Community Music School - Flute Instructor
- Private Studio in Flute in the greater Los Angeles and Inland Empire areas, as well as in Connecticut and New York City
Performances and Presentations
- Paul Edmund-Davies, Principal Flute, London Symphony Orchestra
- William Bennett, Principal Flutist, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Chamber Orchestra, English Chamber Orchestra
- Jim Walker, Flutist of Free Flight and former principal flutist, Los Angeles Philharmonic:
- Emily Beynon, Principal Flutist, Concertgebouw Orchestra
- Janet Ferguson, Former Principal Flutist, the Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Ransom Wilson, Solo Flutist, Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society, NYC
- Jeanne Baxtresser, Former Principal Flutist, New York Philharmonic
- Mary Karen Clardy - Soloist and international clinician
- Walfried Kujala, Former Piccoloist, Chicago Symphony
- Adjudicator of the All-Southern California J/S.Bach Festival and Competition- Junior and Senior Instrumental Division
- Adjudicator of the Redlands Bowl Young Artist Competition
- Featured Soloist at the National Flute Convention in Pittsburgh
- Featured Soloist at the National Flute Convention in New York City
- Woodwind Coordinator - Los Angeles Philharmonic Young Composers Fellowship Program with composers Steven Stucky and John Adams
- Recording Musicians' Association of Los Angeles (RMALA)
- American Federation of Musicians' Union, Local 47
- National Flute Association
- Chairperson of Redlands Symphony Players' Committee
- Pi Kappa Lambda
Motion Picture Sound Tracks Including:
Grammy-nominated JOURNEY - Sony Play Station (Composer, Austin Wintory 2012 - Solo Flute)
Blizzard - World of Warcraft - Mists of Pandaria (Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Jeremy Soule, Jason Hayes, Edo Guidetto, Composers 2013 - Solo Flute/Alto Flute/Bass Flute)
Blizzard - Star Craft ll ( Neal Acree, Russell Brower, Jason Hayes, Composers, 2013 - Solo Flute/PiccoloAlto Flute/Bass Flute)
Wild Star (Jeff Kurtenacker, composer, 2014 - Solo Flute/Piccolo/Alto Flute/Bass Flute/Penny Whistle/Native America Flute)
X-COM (Garry Schyman, Composer, 2013 - Solo Flute)
League of Legends (Michael Barry, Michael Barry, Composers, 2013)
- No Place on Earth (John Piscitello, Composer 2013 - Solo Flute)
- National Geographic: South African Lions (Alex Wurman, Composer 2010 - Solo Flute/Alto Flute)
- The Event
- Sidelining on The Mentalist (May 12, 2011 Airing - Rhapsody In Red)
- ABC LIVE SPECIAL - American Idol Gives Back
- Bevan Manson, Flute Concerto with Orchestra recorded in Hollywood, CA with the Hollywood Studio Orchestra, soon-to-be-released
- Complete J.S. Bach Trio Sonatas for Two Flutes, Cello and Harpischord, with Laurel Zucker, flutist, Cantilena Records
- W.F. Bach Six Duo Sonatas for Two Flutes with Laurel Zucker, flutist, Cantilena Records
- Mozart Duos, Op.75 1- 6 with Laurel Zucker, Flutist, Cantilena Records
- Classical Music for Women and All Beethoven CD on Lifescapes Label
- Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire on Centaur Records (Artist Faculty of the University of Redlands)
Performed or Recorded With
- Placido Domingo
- Earth, Wind And Fire
- Kelly Clarkson
- Il Divo
- Annie Lennox
- Peter Frampton
- John Tesh
- Moody Blues
- Michael Crawford
- Daft Punk
- Snow Patrol
- Josh Groban
*Also Recorded For Many Disney Theme Park Projects, shows, parades, rides, including Mickey's Magical Map May 2013 currently at Disneyland, Anaheim, CA.
Sample Recording Links
- Syrinx for Solo Flute, by Claude Debussy at SaraAndon.com
- California Concertino (2012) by LA composer Bevan Manson. Listen to the 5th Movement at bevanmanson.com