Areas of Expertise
Viola, viola technique, viola repertoire, orchestral excerpts, viola pedagogy
Kira Blumberg, violist, is originally from Hyde Park, New York, where she began studying the violin at the age of four and switched to the viola six years later. She holds a Bachelor of Music degree from Boston University, where she studied with Michael Zaretsky and Steven Ansell, and a Master of Music degree from the Juilliard School, where she studied with Toby Appel.
Currently Ms. Blumberg is Principal Viola of the Redlands Symphony Orchestra and a member of the Long Beach Symphony Orchestra. She plays with the Los Angeles Music Center Opera Orchestra and free-lances extensively throughout the greater Los Angeles area. She is a member of ensembleGREEN, a new music group in Los Angeles and is on the faculty at the University of Redlands. She is very active in the recording industry, working on many movies including A Beautiful Mind, Bourne Identity, and The Spiderwick Chronicles. She is married to Eric Lindholm, Associate Professor of Music and Orchestra Conductor at Pomona College.
In her free time Ms. Blumberg enjoys knitting, gardening and picking up toys and food that have been left underfoot by small children.
- Redlands Symphony Orchestra, principal viola, 2005-present
- enesmbleGREEN, violist, 2000-present
- Long Beach Symphony Orchestra, section viola, 1996-present
- Los Angeles Music Center Opera Orchestra, section viola, 1997-2004
- Santa Barbara Chamber Orchestra, section viola, 1996-2003
Courses Offered at Redlands
- B.M., Boston University, 1992
- M.M., The Juilliard School, 1994
- American String Teachers Assoc.
- American Viola Society
- Southern California Viola Society
- Chamber Music America