Assoc Professor, Sch of Music
Degrees: University of Southern California, Doctorate of Musical Arts in Music Education; California State University, Long Beach, CA, Master of Arts, Piano Performance; California State University, Los Angeles, CA, Bachelor of Arts, Piano Performance
Office: Music, Watchorn Hall #204
Areas of Expertise
- Music Literacy
- Sightsinging/Ear Training
- Elementary Music Education
- Choral Music Education
- Kodály/Jeno Ádám’s Music Education Approach
Katherine Hickey is an experienced music educator specializing in early childhood and elementary music education, children’s choral music, musicianship training, and Kodály pedagogy. Bachelor and Master of Arts degrees in piano performance were completed at California State Universities at Los Angeles and Long Beach, and included a year of intense music study at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary. She earned a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Music Education from the University of Southern California with honors as Outstanding Music Education Graduate.
Dr. Hickey is past president and current treasurer of the national Organization of American Kodály Educators.
A frequent presenter at local, state and national conferences, her presentations include sessions and seminars on nurturing the young singer, vocal development and repertoire for the young singer, vocal abuse, singing games leading to musical literacy, art music listening in the classroom, Jeno Ádám, and Kodály certification courses.
Courses Offered at Redlands
- Choral Music at the Pre-College Level
- Foundations of Music Education
- Psychology of Music
- Elementary Music Methods
- Musicianship Skills I, II
- Music for the Classroom Teacher
Previous Teaching Experience
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- University of Southern California
- Summer music education courses at Azusa Pacific University, CA; University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK; Webster University, MO; Arizona State University; California State University, Fresno; Palomar College
State and regional presentations in Denver, Illinois, Ohio, Atlanta, and numerous other locations. International presentations in China, Poland, Hungary.
Awards and Honors
President - Organization of American Kodaly Educators
- National and international presentations on music, music education topics
- August 2013: Kecskemet, Hungary, International Kodaly Society Symposium; “The Contributions of Jeno Ádám in the Kodály Approach;
- Sept. 2010: Redlands, CA, AOSA, "Dancing Down The Alley To Music Literacy”
- August, 2009: Katowice, Poland; International Kodaly Society Symposium; “The Legacy of Jenö Ádám”
- March, 2009: Washington, DC; Organization of American Kodaly Educators; Teaching Greek Modes: Process and Literature
- 2005: Beijing, China; International Symposium; Discovery Learning in the Kodály Approach
- Music Educators National Conference
- American Choral Director’s Association
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- American Orff-Schulwerk Association
- Organization of American Kodaly Educators
- International Kodaly Society
Katherine Hickey is a Faculty Sponsor for the Collegiate Music Educators National Conference.
Jeno Ádám Research
Introduction Letter, #Consent Form#, Protocols#Survey