Areas of Expertise
- Jazz Drums
- Studio Recording
- Jazz Theory
- Ear Training
- Small and Large Jazz Ensemble Playing
Since moving to Los Angeles in 1985, Joel Taylor has been in demand as one of the most versatile drummers currently in the L.A. studio and touring scene. He has performed and recorded with a diversity of artists that span the whole stylistic spectrum of the music world, such as Stanley Clarke, Allan Holdsworth, Al Dimeola, Frank Gambale, Andy Summers, Robben Ford, Colin Hay(Men at Work), Josh Groban, Micky Thomas (Starship), Bobby Kimball (Toto), Michael Buble’, Vesta Williams, Phil Perry, Bobby Caldwell, Joe Sample, Jeff Lorber, Herb Alpert, Brian Bromberg, Yanni and Freeflight.
Joel is on the short list of drummers for legendary producers David Foster and Peter Wolf. He has performed on numerous film, tv, and video game soundtracks including Gran Torino, Anchorman, Witches of Waverly Place( The Movie), Hannah Montana, and Jonas Brothers. He is also featured on over 100 of the drum tracks for the award winning, multi-platinum, Guitar Hero II, III, Rock the 80’s and Rock Band video games. All featured drum tracks were recorded in Joel’s Jackalope studios in Altadena,Ca. Joel has also recorded drums for hundreds of national jingles. He now records for musicians and producers from all over the world in his studio via the internet.
Born in Worland, Wyoming, in 1959, Joel started playing drums and trumpet at an early age, performing at Carnegie Hall when only 16 with the McDonald’s All American High School Band.
Joel studied at Berklee College of Music (1979-1982) focusing his attention on the drums and recording engineering. Alan Dawson and Gary Chaffee were his private drum mentors during this period.
Courses Offered at Redlands
Applied Drum Set
4 year diploma Cum Laude, Recording Engineering/Drum set performance, Berklee College of Music, 1982
Previous Teaching Experience
- Faculty at Musician’s Institute, Hollywood, Ca 1990-95, 2005-Present
- Guest Artist at LAMA, Pasadena 2004-Present
- International drum clinics 1990-Present
- Private teaching 1984-Present
Awards and Honors
- Smooth Jazz Awards (Chicago) House drummer, 1999
- McDonalds All American Band, 1976
- Wyoming All State Orchestra Principal Trumpet, 1975-77
Presentations and Panels
- Drum/Music clinics throughout USA, Europe, Japan & Brasil include: UNLV, LA Music Academy, Musician’s Institute, Sam Ash Music Stores (Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, So. Cal), School of Rock, (Philadelphia & New Jersey), Arizona State (Tuscon), UC (Boulder), Blue Bear Music Academy, San Francisco
- Modern Music school, Koblenz, Germany, Muse Music School - Tokyo, ESP- Tokyo, Koyo Music School – Kobe, Japan, Pro Music - Rio, Brasil, Shlagwork, Holland
- Clinics with Free Flight: USC, UCLA, Central Michigan University, Interlochen Arts Academy
- MI Clinics with Allan Holdswoth, Jeff Berlin, Victor Wooten/Steve Bailey, Scott Henderson, Jeff Richman, John Beasley
Musician’s Local #47, Los Angeles