Frequently Asked Questions

fine arts

Do you have part-time/evening/continuing studies programs?
The School of Music does offer part-time programs for the Master of Music in Performance, Music Education, and Composition. The Master of Music in Conducting and Artist Diploma require full-time enrollment.

There is no official evening program, however, the Performance and Music Education degrees can be achieved with evening courses, independent study, and ensembles beginning at 4:00 p.m.

Although the University of Redlands does offer continuing studies, the School of Music does not.

Does the University of Redlands School of Music require GRE scores?
The GRE is not required for School of Music graduate applicants.

Who is required to submit a TOEFL score?
Anyone whose first language is not English is required to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Official notification to the School of Music from ETS of a TOEFL score of 80 (213 on the computer-based test or 550 on the paper-based test) is required. However, the admissions committee may consider applicants with scores slightly below 80.

Artist Diploma candidates whose primary language is not English must report a score of at least 45 (133 on the computer-based test or 450 on the paper-based test) on the TOEFL examination.

My first language is not English, and I am currently enrolled in a U.S. (or another English speaking) institution. May I be exempt from the TOEFL requirement?
Applicants who have completed a full-time, 4-year degree program at an English-speaking college/university within one year of application may be exempt from the TOEFL requirement.

What are the tuition/attendance costs at the University of Redlands School of Music?
All Master of Music degrees require 40 credits to graduate. Tuition for 2014-2015 is $931 per credit and the full time student fee is $86. All graduate students, full time and part time, are eligible for the voluntary health insurance plan with plans beginning at $1540.

How much is out-of-state and international tuition?
The University of Redlands does not charge a separate out-of-state or international tuition rate. The tuition rate is the same for all students.

What scholarship opportunities are available?
Financial Aid for graduate study is available in the form of:

  1. Graduate Assistantships
  2. A loan program available from the Student Financial Services Office 
  3. A tuition installment plan from the Business and Finance office for those students who wish to spread their payments out over the entire academic year.

*Scholarships and work-study awards are not available for graduate students.

What are the typical duties or responsibilities of graduate assistants?
Typical Graduate Assistantship duties are:

  • Office assistant
  • Ensemble assistant – stage-managing, librarian, etc.
  • Tutoring – theory, ear-training, etc.
  • Chamber music coach
  • Accompanying (keyboard students only)
  • Teaching non-music major lessons
  • Community outreach
  • Other duties as determined by the Dean of the School of Music

How do I apply for need-based financial aid?
You may apply for need–based financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application can be accessed by visiting the FAFSA Website. Feel free to contact the Student Financial Services office with any questions.

When will I receive the I-20?
Admission and proof of funding is required before an I-20 can be created. You will receive an I-20 after you have been admitted and paid your deposit. Please contact the School of Music Office of Admissions, or (909) 748-8014 with questions and/or concerns.

Am I eligible for a graduate assistantship if I am an international student?
Yes, you are eligible for a graduate assistantship. All graduate assistantship are based on talent, academic achievement, and department need.

What started as a freshman prank in 1913?
The giant R

The giant "R" seen on the mountain north of the University that is about one-third the size of the Quad.

More »