Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to audition?
Yes. All students wishing to be considered for a Minor in Music, Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Music, and music talent scholarship must submit the supplemental music application with a live or recorded audition.

Should I bring an accompanist?
No. Instrumental auditions will be held without accompaniment and all voice applicants will have a piano accompanist provided. We ask that all voice applicants submit their music for the accompanist by email or fax a minimum of two weeks prior to the audition.

May I send a recorded audition or do I have to come to campus to audition?
Live auditions are preferred. Students who live within a 200 mile radius should complete an in person audition on one of the three scheduled audition days or on an alternate date at the convenience of the faculty. Students who live more than 200 miles away from campus are welcome to submit a recorded audition. Audio recordings may be on CD or DVD. Cassette tape, DAT, minidisk and VHS tapes will not be accepted. DVD recordings must be North American Standard NTSC format.

What is the difference between the Minor, BA and BM degrees in music?
The main difference between the programs is the amount and intensity of study within the 128 credits needed to graduate. The Music Minor is a 22-24 credit course of study designed to encourage continued musical development and exploration in music. The Bachelor of Arts with major in Music is a liberal arts degree that requires 46 credits in music. The Bachelor of Arts degree can allow students to explore a variety of academic interests in addition to music. The Bachelor of Music is a pre-professional degree that requires more credit hours in music, closer to 90, and represents an intense, focused study in music performance, composition or music education.

When is the application deadline?
The University of Redlands offers fall admission in two phases: Early Action (Nov. 15) and Regular Decision (Jan. 15). Applications submitted beyond these deadlines will be considered on a space available basis. 

Do you have part-time/evening/online programs?
The University of Redlands School of Music offers full-time programs only to undergraduates. Typically, classes are held, with some exceptions, during normal business hours, Monday through Friday.

What is a repertoire list, and what is it used for?
A repertoire list is a complete list of the musical works you have studied and/or performed on your principal instrument. We suggest that all applicants for the BM in Performance submit a repertoire list. A music resume and repertoire list will serve to give the faculty and Music Admissions Office a comprehensive look at your background and training, to date. The repertoire list, especially, allows us to see the array of music you've studied so far, from which you've chosen a few select works to bring to the audition. (Don't worry - faculty will never pick music at random from your repertoire list and ask you to perform it at the audition!)

Will I take private lessons with a graduate assistant?
All music majors study privately with one of our faculty members. Non music majors and music majors wishing to learn a secondary instrument may study with a graduate assistant only if they enroll in non-major, 100 level lessons.

How much do music lessons cost?
The private lesson fee is $240 per credit.

Students required by their program curriculum to register for private lessons will have private lesson fees waived for the minimum number of credits required in their respective majors, regardless of the distribution of these credits among various instruments or in voice.

Full-time non-music students who concurrently enroll for credit in an appropriate conducted ensemble are eligible for a special private lesson fee of $75 per credit; the minimum enrollment per semester is 1 credit. Additional credits will be charged at $240 per credit.

The School of Music operates a Community School of Music and the Arts (CSMA), which offers lessons to students of all ages and levels. For information about their faculty, rates, and calendar visit

May I take trial lessons from faculty members?
Yes, depending on the policies of individual faculty members, individual lessons may be scheduled. The School of Music Office of Admissions will be happy to assist with coordinating your lesson, or you may find faculty emails and phone numbers listed on the Faculty Profiles page.

Do you have degree programs in music business, music industry, audio recording, or musical theater?
No. However, we do offer Theatre and Business majors, as well as an Introduction to Sound Recording class, which can be combined with a BA in Music or BM.

I want to major in economics, math, or something else. Can I still be involved in music?
Yes. Students can take any music class, provided they have the necessary prerequisites, and audition for any of our 12 School of Music ensembles. Students may also apply/audition to become double majors, with concentrations in music and in another area. Others may choose to minor in music.

I have heard about a dual-degree program. What is it?
The double-degree program is a five-year course of study where students can pursue pre-professional studies in music as well as a liberal arts degree within the College of Arts and Sciences. Upon completing the program, students are awarded both the Bachelor of Music and a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.

How do I join the choir, band, or orchestra?
Auditions for all ensembles are held at the beginning of the fall semester (and by appointment at the beginning of the spring semester). As soon as you get to campus, reserve a time on the audition sign-up sheets posted in Watchorn Hall. Instrumentalists should prepare a short piece that demonstrates their technical level; singers should prepare a song or aria.

Who can use the practice rooms in the School of Music?
All students may use the practice rooms in the School of Music. However, chamber ensembles have priority for classrooms over individual practice. Likewise, piano majors have priority for practice rooms containing grand pianos and music majors and CSMA teachers have priority over non-music majors.

Can I receive credit for ensemble participation?
Students who are enrolled in an ensemble may register for 0-1credit. Multiple semesters can be combined to fulfill the Creative Process (CP) LAF requirement.

What are the tuition/attendance costs at University of Redlands School of Music?
The tuition cost for 2013-2014 is $40,990. The estimated cost of attendance (including room and board, books and supplies, medical coverage and associated student body fees) is $56,572. More information can be found at the Student Financial Services website.

Do you accept transfer students?
We welcome applications from students who wish to transfer from an accredited four-year college or two-year junior college. The highest level that students can transfer as is a junior.

What scholarship opportunities are available?
The School of Music automatically considers anyone who completes a School of Music application and audition for a music scholarship. More information about scholarship opportunities can be found at the Student Financial Services website.

You may wish to visit the CAS Admissions and Parents and Families FAQ’s to assist you in learning more about the University and its programs, activities and services.

Thurber really knows his stuff.

Thurber learned The Och Tamale when he was just a pup. Don't know it yet?

Listen now »