Pupil Personnel Services Credential: School Counseling
Applicants who already have a master’s degree and wish to receive a PPS Credential must complete the following CCTC approved courses, plus 600 hours of fieldwork. Some of the courses may be waived by the Director of School Counseling if already taken in a regionally accredited master’s degree program. The unit requirement ranges from 15 to 37 units for students who have a master's degree in a counseling related field.
Although a California teacher credential is not required for the PPS Credential, successful completion of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) is a prerequisite to enter the program. Also, candidates for the PPS program must apply for a Certificate of Clearance and need evidence of a negative TB test dated within the past two years when they initially enroll in the program.
- EDUC 601 The Counseling Process (3)
- EDUC 602 Pluralism in Education (3)
- EDUC 651 Group Counseling and Consultation (3)
- EDUC 653 Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy (3)
- EDUC 654 Career Development Theory and Practice (3)
- EDUC 655 Counseling Systems (3)
- EDUC 657A Practicum: Fieldwork in Counseling (3)
- EDUC 657B Practicum: Fieldwork in Counseling (1)
- EDUC 659 Learning Theory and Student Assessment (3)
- EDUC 670 Program Administration and Management (3)
- EDUC 674 School Politics and Law (3)
- EDUC 675 Curriculum and Program Development (3)
- EDUC 680 Human Development Across the Life Span (3)
For applicants desiring to combine a master's degree in School Counseling with a Pupil Personnel Services Credential, please see Master of Arts in Education Programs.