Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (Tier I)
In order to become an administrator in California K-12 public schools, candidates need to gain the competencies and meet the standards required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The following courses are approved by the CCTC to attain a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential or a Certificate of Eligibility.
The unit requirement ranges from 12 to 27, depending on the number of transferable units from other applicable graduate work. The Director of Educational Administration will meet with the applicant to review transcripts to determine which of the required preliminary credential courses need to be taken.
Candidates who have been recommended for an administrative appointment in a district may be eligible for an administrative internship, which would require registration in a one unit practicum course each term.
- EDUC 601 Interpersonal Relationships (3)
- EDUC 602 Pluralism in Education (3)
- EDUC 670 Program Administration and Management (3)
- EDUC 671 Leadership (3)
- EDUC 673 School Finance (3)
- EDUC 674 School Politics and Law (3)
- EDUC 675 Curriculum and Program Development (3)
- EDUC 676 School Personnel Management (3)
- EDUC 678 Practicum: Fieldwork in Administration (3)
- Candidates employed as administrative interns enroll in EDUC 679, Preliminary Administrative Internship Practicum (1-3)
Credential candidates must have worked in a position requiring a preliminary teacher or service credential for five years prior to receiving the Certificate of Eligibility for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential. Once candidates acquire and administrative position, they can apply for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential.
For those applicants desiring to combine a master's degree in School Administration and a Preliminary Administrative Services Credential please see Master of Arts in Education Programs.
For programs that meet federal Title IV eligibility, University of Redlands is required by the U.S. Department of Education to post the Gainful Employment (GE) required information (program information, completion rates, program cost, and median loan debt). To view this information please click here.