Children's Literature Festival 2016
February 26 & 27, 2016 -- University of Redlands -- Redlands, CA
Celebrating the best in Children’s Books for 20 Years!
Join us for Festival 2016 featuring:
|Awarding winning children’s book creators
||Art from Children’s Books
|Author and Illustrator Presentations
|Small Group workshops for teachers, librarians, parents, aspiring writers and illustrators
||Practical Ideas for Teaching & Sharing
|Book Market & Author Signing
||An EXHIBIT OF ART FROM CHILDREN’S BOOKS at Pepper’s Gallery on campus
Award winning Festival faculty includes:
- Jerry Pinkney, Caldecott medalist, Coretta Scott King medalist, Laura Ingalls Lifetime Achievement and Coretta Scott King – Virginia Hamilton Lifetime Achievement award winner, illustrator of over 100 children’s books including: The Lion and the Mouse, The Grasshopper and the Ant , The Little Red Hen and The Talking Eggs
- Linda Sue Park, Newbery medalist, author children’s novels and picture books including: A Single Shard, A Long Walk to Water and Xander’s Panda Party
- Janet Wong, Author of poetry, picture books and books for older children including: Twist, Dumpster Diver, Behind the Wheel: Poems about Driving and Me and Rolly Maloo and publisher of The Poetry Friday Anthology series
- Debra Frasier, Author/illustrator of many award winning books including: On the Day You Were Born, Miss Alaineus, a Vocabulary Disaster, SPIKE, the Ugliest Dog in the Universe and A Fabulous Fair Alphabet
- Kevin Henkes, Caldecott medalist, Newbery medalist, author, illustrator of mouse books, picture books and novels including: Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, Kitten’s First Full Moon and Olive’s Ocean
- Mike Graf, Author of award winning books about weather, geography, outdoor adventure and national parks including The Adventures with the Parkers National Park series
And more including presentations from:
Kristine O’Connell George, Alexis O’Neill
, and editor Allyn Johnston
Due to a Family emergency, Tony Johnston will not be able to be with us. We are fortunate that Lisa Van Drasek, Curator of the Children’s Literature Research Collect at the University of Minnesota, who was scheduled to be an attendee of the Festival and has agreed to present a breakout session in Tony’s place. Check out the revised Festival schedule. For more about Lisa, check http://www.cbcbooks.org/kate-dicamillo-and-lisa-von-drasek-on-the-joys-of-reading-aloud/ which features Kate DiCamillo and Lisa Von Drasek on the Joys of Reading Aloud.
DREAMS, SCHEMES, AND A DOG IN JEANS: Celebrating 20 Years of Children’s Book Festival Artists
In celebration of the Charlotte S. Huck Children’s Literature Festival, there will be an exhibition of fifty original illustrations from some of the best and most celebrated artists in the field. On exhibit from February 16 through March 19, 2016 at Peppers Art Gallery on campus, the works are in a variety of styles, materials and techniques. To arrange for class visits, please contact Jane Davis at email@example.com
Artwork by Jerry Pinkney from The Little Red Hen
You get all of the above and more for $200 – including all meals.
ALL FESTIVAL EVENTS take place on the University of Redlands campus. Registration check-in, meals and general sessions take place in Orton Conference Center which is centrally located on campus. Free parking is available near the building.
REGISTER NOW FOR FESTIVAL 2016. Check out the special rates for SCBWI members, students and three people registering together.
Give a gift to yourself; register now for The Charlotte S. Huck Children’s Literature Festival. Better yet, bring two friends so that the three of you can share two days of the best children’s literature has to offer and save $25 each. Register online or by mail.
Special Hotel Rate: Once again the Ayres Hotel Redlands is partnering with the University to offer special rates for guests registered for the Festival. Call the hotel at (909)335-9024. THE AYRES HOTEL IS NOW FULL, but we are pleased to say the Country Inn & Suites (very near the Ayers) also has a special rate. Call (909)792-7913 and ask for the Children's Literature Conference rate. Special rate of $79 is only available until February 10.
Friend us on Facebook for the latest on the Festival and Festival authors.
For more information:
Contact festival secretary Colleen Quesada at (909) 748-8791 or email the festival coordinator Marjorie Arnett.
Keep coming back for regular updates about featured speakers, special festival events, registration information, and pictures from past years.