Current Research, Academic Interests or Areas of Expertise
- Non-Profit Management
- Learning in Organizations
- Organizational Change Management
- Community Development
- Strategic Management
- Management education and development
- Leadership and film
- Measuring emotional intelligence using 360 degree reviews
Professional Background Highlights
Associate Professor James C. Spee received his Ph.D. from The Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, California, USA. He holds an MBA from Claremont and engineering degrees from University of Washington and Calvin College. He teaches courses in strategy, leadership, communication, and organizational learning at the University of Redlands School of Business.
His research focuses on management education and development, measurement of learning outcomes, and aviation education. He is the past president of the Western Academy of Management, and is a member of the editorial board for the Academy of Management Learning and Education journal. He has served on the boards of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Society, the North American Case Research Association, and the Management Education and Development division of the Academy of Management. He currently volunteers one day a week at the Flabob Airport Preparatory Academy, an aviation charter school in Rubidoux, CA.
Courses Taught at Redlands
- Master of Arts in Management Courses including Strategy, Communication and Conflict, Leadership and Motivation, Decision-Making, Managing Change and Organizational Learning, The Reflective Manager, Managerial Assessment and Development
- Masters in Business Administration Courses including Preface to Leadership and Strategy Capstone
- Bachelor of Science in business and management capstone course
- Bachelor of Arts course Advanced Topics in Organizational Behavior and Management
- Undergraduate Seminars for Johnston Center on Arts Administration
- Travel course to Italy, May 2005
- Travel course to Salzburg, January 1999
- Travel course to Cambridge, England, May 1998
- First Year Seminar on 100 years of Hollywood, Fall 2006 and 2007
- First Year Seminar on Green Entrepreurship, Fall 2009
- Supervised student led Johnston courses in International Advertising, Non Profit Management and Music Business
- 1994 Ph.D. in Management, Peter F. Drucker Graduate Management Center, The Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, CA
Major concentrations in strategic management and management theory
Dissertation, titled Restructuring Corporate Functions Through Outsourcing" examines the use of vendors to perform human resource management tasks and tests a theory of organizational boundaries using economic and psychological factors
- 1986 Masters in Business Administration, The Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, CA
Concentrations in strategic management and organizational behavior
- 1980 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Also completed upper division courses in Aeronautics and Astronautics
- 1980 Bachelor of Science in Engineering and Letters, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI. (Degree awarded concurrent with University of Washington
Previous Teaching Experience
- California State University, Fullerton
- Pepperdine University
- University of California, Irvine
- San Bernardino Valley College
- Athabasca University
- Thomas Edison State College
- University of California Riverside Extension
Previous Relevant Work Experience
- 1992-93 Boys and Girls Club of Redlands
- 1986 Union Station Foundation, Pasadena, CA
- 1983 Boeing Commercial Airplane Co. Seattle, WA
- 1980-83 Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, Grand Rapids, MI and Bogra, Bangladesh
Major Awards and Grants Received
- 2009 Case study co authored with Dr. Don McCormick chosen as ten best for the last five years by Organization Management Journal
- 2009 Shared California State University, Northridge faculty award for best pedagogy publication with Dr. Don McCormick of CSUN
- May 1994 Member, Beta Gamma Sigma, honor society for the Association of Accredited Schools of Business
- 1992 Society for Human Resource Management SHRM Harvey Wilson Dissertation Research Grant
- 1991 John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation Doctoral Research Fellowship
- 1990 B. Dade and Helen Mohan Davis Foundation Memorial Scholarship
- 1986-87 Claremont Graduate School Ph.D. Fellowship
Significant Publications and Presentations
Spee, J. (2007) Reducing Poverty Through Strategy and Innovation in a Bangladesh Community Development Project. Book chapter in Wankel, C. and Stoner, J. (eds) Innovative Approaches to Reducing Global Poverty. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Spee, J. C. (2003). The Acid Test of Leadership. In Pillai, R and Stites-Doe, S (Ed.), Teaching Leadership. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
Spee, J.C. (1998). Classical Leadership and Saving Private Ryan. In Tompkins, T (Ed.), Cases in Management and Organizational Behavior. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
McCormick, D. and Spee, J. (2008) IBM and Germany 1922-1941. Organization and Management Journal (Teaching and Learning Section) Volume 5, pp. 208-213.
McCormick, D. and Spee, J. (2008) Teaching Notes: IBM and Germany 1922-1941. Organization and Management Journal (Teaching and Learning Section) Volume 5, pp. 214-223.
Spee, J. (2007) Volunteer vs. Professional Management of Academic Conferences: A Comparison of Five Meetings. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics, 5 (3) pp. 70-79. Available from: http://www.iiisci.org/Journal/SCI/Contents.asp?var=&Previous=ISS5052
Spee, J. C. (2005). Using Focused Discussion in the Classroom. Journal of Management Education, 29 (December) 833-851.
Montemayor, E.F. and Spee, J.C. (2004) The Dimensions in Emotional Intelligence: Construct Validation using Manager and Self Ratings. Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management 2004 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
McCormick, D., Tompkins, T., and Spee, J.C. (2002). Reflections on Implementing an Innovative Management Curriculum Tracking Between Scylla and Charybdis. Journal of Management Education,
Spee, J.C., and Tompkins, T. (2001). Design for a Competency Based Masters in Management Program. Journal of Management Education,
Spee, J.C. (March 1995). Addition by Subtraction: Outsourcing strengthens business focus. Journal of Management Education, 40(3), pp. 38-43.
- HR Magazine
- Journal of Management Education
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings
- Western Academy of Management
- Academy of Management
- Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference
- North American Case Research Association
- Riverside Art Museum
- Riverside Arts Council
- San Bernardino Arts Council
- Academy of Management
- Western Academy of Management (past president)
- Organizational Behavior Teaching Society
- Editorial Board for Academy of Management Learning and Education (journal)
- Reviewer for Journal of Management Education
- Completed Inland Empire Business Atlas research project for Redlands Institute in 2009.