Current Research, Academic Interests or Areas of Expertise
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Social Responsibility Moral
- Political Philosophy
Professional Background Highlights
Jeffery Smith is the founding Director of the Banta Center for Business, Ethics and Society and is currently associate professor of ethics at the University of Redlands School of Business. In addition to teaching business ethics, he regularly offers courses in political economy and moral philosophy. Professor Smith is an active member of the Society for Business Ethics, the European Business Ethics Network and the American Philosophical Association. In 2008 he served as visiting professor at the Universiteit van Tilburg in the Netherlands.
Professor Smith's writings have appeared in Business Ethics Quarterly, the Journal of Business Ethics, Business Ethics: A European Review and in other journals. In addition presentations at academic institutions such as the University of Colorado and DePaul University, he has led seminars at organizations such as Boeing and MCI. His current research focuses on communicative ethics, stakeholder dialogue and the moral foundations of collaborative decision making within organizations.
He received his Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 2000.
Courses Taught at Redlands
- BUAD 610 Contexts for Contemporary Business
- BUSB 300 Ethical and Legal Environment of Business
- MGMT 667 Business, Ethics and Society
- PHIL 331 Foundations of Ethics
- PHIL 460 Topics in Philosophy
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota (2000)
- M.A., University of Minnesota (1996)
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Minnesota (1993)
Previous Teaching Experience
- Assistant Professor, St. Cloud State University
Significant Publications and Presentations
- Business Ethics Quarterly
- Journal of Business
- Ethics Business Ethics: A European Review
- Society for Business Ethics
- Ethics and Compliance Officer Association
- American Philosophical Association
Smith, Jeffery, Ed. Normative Theory and Business Ethics. (New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.: 2009)
Smith, Jeffery. “Internet Content Providers and Complicity in Human Rights Abuse,” Ethical Theory and Business, ed. T. Beauchamp, N.E. Bowie and D. Arnold (Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2008): 442-455.
Smith, Jeffery. “Justifying and Applying Moral Principles,” The Journal of Value Inquiry, Vol. 40, no 4 (2006): 393-411.
Smith, Jeffery. “Moral Markets and Moral Managers Revisited,” Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 61, no. 2 (2005): 129-141.
Smith, Jeffery. “Fairness, Responsibility and Engagement: New Developments in Stakeholder Theory,” Business Ethics Quarterly, Vol. 15, no. 4 (2004): 711-721.
Smith, Jeffery. “A Précis of a Communicative Theory of the Firm,” Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol. 13, no. 4 (2004): 317-331.
- Director, Banta Center for Business, Ethics and Society