What Can I Give To?
Alumni and parent support of the Johnston Center is critical to the long-term success of this unique educational experience. Gifts of all sizes have a positive impact on our students’ experience–including showing widespread support for the program from its graduates and helping us secure program-enriching grants from foundations. The support from Johnston alumni, parents and friends helps us ensure that the traditions and success of the last 40 years continues for many decades to come.
There are a number ways to support Johnston:
- Johnston Discretionary Fund: This is the Center’s annual fund. We use gifts to the Discretionary Fund to directly support Johnston students: funding senior projects and Integrated Semester projects (creative and academic); paying the way for students to attend national conferences to give papers; support for field trips, and class projects and guest speakers not covered by the “Kathryn Green Alumni Lecture Series.” In honor of our upcoming 45th reunion, we are focusing on building several funds within the discretionary fund.
- Community Scholarship – This scholarship will go to a student or students whose emphasis focuses on community service and activism.
- Study Abroad Travel Fund—Study Abroad is an important component of a Johnston education, often fulfilling the “cross-cultural” component of a student’s emphasis. While the University has an excellent Study Abroad Program, it does not support airfare or spending money. This fund will be used to support students who need financial help in these areas in order to study abroad for a semester.
- Visiting Alumni Faculty Fund—Johnston has benefited greatly from alumni returning to teach a class. We’d like to continue this tradition. This fund will support alumni who would like to return and teach as adjuncts for the Center.
- Building Johnston Community Endowment: The endowment is in essence the Center’s savings account and helps us ensure long-term stability for the Center. We use the interest from our endowment fund to positively impact the student experience. Most recent uses of these funds include: furniture for The “Jimmie” Room; digital film, photography and sound equipment; equipping a screening room in Bekins for film viewing; and supporting the new “Visiting Alumni Faculty” program, in which alumni come each year to offer a course to the community.
Contact Molly Widdicombe, Associate Director of Annual Giving, or Ericka Smith, Director of Major Gifts with specific designation inquiries at 909-748-8050.