Academic Interests and Areas of Expertise
- Middle East Studies
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Peace and conflict resolution
- Construction of identity
- Honor killings and other forms of violence against women
- Cultural studies of dance
- Anthropology of death and dying
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Courses Offered at Redlands
SOAN 102 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
SOAN 259 The Middle East
SOAN 265 Death and Dying
SOAN 313 Anthropological Theories
SOAN 345 World Ethnographies
SOAN 365 The Anthropology of Dance
- B.A., Boston University
- M.A., Ph.D., Harvard University
Honors and Awards
- Ben Halpern Biennial Award in Israel Studies
- University of Redlands Outstanding Service Award
- Harvard University Grants awarded by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies and the Department of Anthropology
- Doctoral Research Award (US Department of Education)
- Mellon Fellowships
- Harvard University Merit Scholarship
- Boston University Merit Scholarship
Publications, Presentations and Panels
Lang, Sharon. (2005). Shaking Hands with the Enemy: The Quest for Honor among Israeli-Palestinian Men Routledge Press.
Lang, Sharon. (August, 2004). "Micaela's Love." HOPE (an on-line SIDS publication)
Lang, Sharon. (2004). "Sulha Peacemaking." in Together: Communicating Interpersonally: A Social Construction Approach, ed. John Stewart, 6th edition. Roxbury Publishing Co.
Lang, Sharon. (2002). "The Resiliency of Ethnography: Qualitative Methodology in Education and the Social Sciences." Journal of Resiliency Research, Invited Inaugural Address of peer-reviewed journal.
Lang, Sharon. (2002). "Sulha Peacemaking and the Politics of Persuasion." Journal of Palestine Studies, Issue 31.
Lang, Sharon. (2002). "Conflict Resolution Among Israeli-Palestinians." Hawaii International Conference on Social Sciences Proceedings.