Areas of Expertise
- Condensed Matter / Solid State / Surface Science
- Everyday Optics
- Electricity & Magnetism
Description of Research
Dr. Hill’s research has ranged from designing, building and using Scanning Tunneling Microscopes to modeling Architectural Acoustics and ray optics, to pedagogical work on both every-day optics and the fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism.
Courses Offered at Redlands
- PHYS 495 Sr. Seminar
- PHYS 378 Physics Research
- PHYS 344 Statistical Properties of Matter
- PHYS 332 Intermediate E& M
- PHYS 310 Electronics
- PHYS 232 & 231L General Physics II
- PHYS 231 & 231L General Physics I
- PHYS 221 & 221L Fundamentals of Physics II
- PHYS 220 & 220L Fundamentals of Physics I
- Proudian Science Seminar: Power & Society
- Johnston First Year Seminar (with Dr.’s Hankin & Ogren)
- Physics on the Edge (Jnst. G)
- Powder Puff Auto Mech. (sponsor: Jnst. K)
- Powder Puff Auto Mech. Prep (sponsor: Jnst 47-31)
- Sound Physics Phys. 107
Previous Teaching Experience
St. Olaf College
Visiting Professor (2000)
- Modern Physics
- Advanced Laboratory Physics
- Musical Acoustics
Awards and Honors
Mortarboard Professor of the Year, 2008
Publications, Presentations and Panels
"Rephrasing Faraday’s Law." S. Eric Hill. The Physics Teacher (sub. 2008, accept. 2009, to appear 2010).
"Reflection with a Twist: the Helical Mirror." A. J. DeWeerd and S. Eric Hill. The Physics Teacher 44 (7), 424-425 (2006).
"Comment on ‘Anamorphic Images,’ by J.L. Hunt, B.G. Nickel, and Christian Gigault" [Am. J. Phys. 68 (3), 232-237 (2000)]. A. J. DeWeerd and S. E. Hill. Am. J. Phys. 74 (1), 83-84 (2006).
"Optics Over Tea: Images in Concave and Convex Surfaces," A. J. DeWeerd and S. E. Hill. Physics Education 40 (1), 13-14(2005).
"The Dizzying Depths of Cylindrical Mirrors," A. J. DeWeerd and S. E. Hill. The Physics Teacher 43 (2), 90-92 (2005).
"Reflections on Handedness," A. J. DeWeerd and S. E. Hill. The Physics Teacher 42, 45 (2004)
"Adsorption of TiCl4 and initial stages of Ti growth on Si(001)," T. Mitsui, E. Hill, R. Curtis, and E. Ganz. Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 19, 563 (2000).
"Hydrogen diffusion on the Si(001) surface studied by Atom Tracking," E. Hill, B. Freelon, and E. Ganz. Physical Review B 60, 15896 (1999).
"Nanolithography by selective chemical vapor deposition with an atomic hydrogen resist," T. Mitsui, E. Hill, and E. Ganz. Journal of Applied Physics 85, 522 (1999).
"Initial stages of Al growth from dimethylaluminum hydride," T. Mitsui, E. Hill, R. Curtis, and E. Ganz. Physical Review B 59, 8123 (1999).
- American Vacuum Society
- American Physics Society