Degrees: Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1979; M.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975; B.A., California State University, Fresno, 1973.
Office: Political Science, Hall of Letters #329
Dr. Art Svenson is the David Boies Endowed Chair of Government.
Academic Interests and Areas of Expertise
- Physician-assisted suicide
- Medicinal marijuana
- Politics and the arts
Description of Research
Recent scholarship focuses on both statutory and constitutional questions generated by certain end-of-life policies of American national and state governments. Does the Fourteenth Amendment nationalize a right to physician-assisted suicide? How does the exercise of Congress’ Commerce Clause power affect state legalization of physician-assisted suicide and medicinal marijuana? What impact might shifting notions of assisted dying for terminally ill, competent adults have on the Supreme Court’s Equal Protection jurisprudence?
Courses Offered at Redlands
- Constitutional Law: National and State Powers
- Constitutional Law: Liberty and Authority
- Criminal Procedure
- War, Terrorism, and the Constitution
- The Equal Protection Clause
- The Burger Court
- The Rehnquist Court
- Judicial Process
- Comparative Judicial Systems
- Public Policy and Administration
- Congress and the Bureaucracy
- American Political Thought
- American National Government and Politics
- B.A., California State University, Fresno, 1973
- M.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1979
Previous Teaching Experience
Florida International University, 1979-1981
Professional violinist: Redlands Symphony, San Bernardino Symphony, Riverside County Philharmonic
Awards and Honors
- Armacost Award for Faculty Service to Alumni, 2008
- Centennial Award, 2007
- David Boies Endowed Chair, 2004
- Research Award, 2003
- Mortar Board Professor of the Year, 1992
- Outstanding Teaching Award, 1983, 1986, 1997
“Death with Dignity’s Emerging Conceit: Could Vacco v. Quill be Losing its Appeal?,” La Verne Law Review, 2009.
“Physician-Assisted Suicide and the Supreme Court: A Decade in the Life of a Constitutional Issue That’s ‘Not Dead Yet,’” with Susan Behuniak, in Making Sense of Death and Dying, edited eBook, Inter-Disciplinary.Net, 2009.
“The Democratizing Effect of Oral Argument,” with Susan Behuniak, The World and I Online, 2006.
Physician-Assisted Suicide: The Anatomy of a Constitutional Law Issue, with Susan Behuniak, Rowman & Littlefield, 2003.
“The Last Rites for States’ Rights? The Graveside Struggles Between the States and Congress over Physician-Assisted Suicide,” Social Science Journal, 2003.
American Federation of Musicians, Local 47
Art Svenson is the Faculty Sponsor of the University of Redlands Mock Trial Team and a University of Redlands Prelaw Advisor.