Program Learning Outcomes
Bachelor of Arts
Students completing the major in the French program will demonstrate both an advanced proficiency in the language and the capacity to read, discuss, and analyze works of Francophone literature. Students will also demonstrate competency in negotiating Francophone culture.
By graduation, French majors will be able to:
1. Relate written and oral information accurately and clearly enough to be understood by sympathetic native speakers of French without misrepresentation or confusion;
2. Compose written arguments in French with logic and clarity.
1. Compellingly interpret key texts in Francophone literature with respect to literary conventions and historical contexts;
2. Apply different critical and interpretive approaches to literary texts with depth, clarity and relevance.
III. Cultural Competence
1. Differentiate without bias American and Francophone cultural norms in an historical context;
2. Demonstrate a sensitive knowledge and understanding of Francophone cultural behavior in order to function effectively within Francophone culture.
Learning outcomes for all graduates of the College of Arts and Sciences