Professor, Creative Writing
Degrees: M.F.A., English, University of California, Irvine, 1977; B.A., English, University of Washington, 1973.
Office: Creative Writing , Hall of Letters
Phone: 909/748-8571 Campus Ext. 8571
Areas of Expertise
Poetry and translation.
Ralph Angel is the author of four books of poetry: "Exceptions and Melancholies: Poems" 1986-2006 (2007 PEN USA Poetry Award); "Twice Removed; Neither World" (James Laughlin Award of The Academy of American Poets); and Anxious Latitudes; as well as a translation of the Federico García Lorca collection, "Poema del cante jondo / Poem of the Deep Song."
His poems have appeared in scores of magazines and anthologies, both here and abroad, and recent literary awards include a gift from the Elgin Cox Trust, a Pushcart Prize, a Gertrude Stein Award, the Willis Barnstone Poetry Translation Prize, a Fulbright Foundation fellowship and the Bess Hokin Award of the Modern Poetry Association.
Mr. Angel is Edith R. White Distinguished Professor of English and Creative Writing at the University of Redlands, and a member of the MFA Program in Writing faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts.
Courses Offered at Redlands
- Three levels of Poetry Writing Workshops
- Senior Portfolio
- Various Creative Writing and Johnston seminars including Surrealism, The Beat Generation, Translation, and the Literature of Separation
- M.F.A., English, University of California, Irvine, 1977
- B.A., English, University of Washington, 1973
Awards and Honors
- PEN USA Poetry Award, PEN, 2007
- Gertrude Stein Award, Sun & Moon Press, 2006
- Elgin Cox Trust Literary Arts Gift, 2005-06
- Poet in Residence, The Poet’s House, Falcarragh, Ireland, 2004, 2002
- Willis Barnstone Poetry Translation Prize, 2003
- Fundacíon Valparaiso Fellowship, Spain, 1999
- James Laughlin Award, Academy of American Poets, 1995
- Pushcart Prize, 1995
- Fulbright Foundation Fellowship, Slovenia, 1992-93
- Bess Hokin Prize, Modern Language Association, 1988
"Exceptions and Melancholies: Poems" 1986-2006, Louisville, KY: Sarabande Books, 2006
"Twice Removed," Louisville, KY: Sarabande Books, 2001
"Neither World," Oxford, OH: Miami University Press, 1995
"Anxious Latitudes," Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 1986
Books, Translation, Poetry
"Poema del cante jondo/Poem of the Deep Song," Federico García Lorca, Louisville, KY: Sarabande Books, 2006