UofR DRiver Van Policies
Vehicle Safety Check
Before departing, conduct a visual inspection of the exterior looking for new dents, checking light covers, tires, etc. Once in the van, check that the following are in working order:
- The horn
- The right and left blinkers
- The lights, dim and bright
- The emergency brake
- The hood release
- The spare tire, jack, and wrench
- All emergency equipment, including the first aid kit, flares, fire extinguisher, flashlight, and jumper cables
Each driver must know where all of these accessories are located and how to use each correctly.
Principal Driving Policies
Vans are to be used for official University of Redlands business only. Vans must be operated in full compliance with all State laws and University policies. Only approved drivers are eligible to drive a van.
- The driver and all passengers must use seat belts whenever the van is in use.
- Only the front seat passenger, not the driver, is permitted to operate cell phones, iPods, the radio, or engage in any other distracting activity while the van is in motion.
- Drivers may not drive more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period, and are required to switch or take a minimum of a half-hour break after 4 hours behind the wheel.
- NO OFF ROAD DRIVING – use judgment and scout a road on foot if it is in particularly bad condition. (This may include, but is not limited to snow, ice, deep water, mud, deep ruts, narrow, washed out etc.)
- Report ANY traffic violations or accidents to the Public Safety within 24 hours of their occurrence.
Safe Driving Guidelines
- When Backing out from any tight spot:
- If there is someone else in the van with you, have him/her get out to direct you around posts, cars, and other objects that may be in your way.
- If you are alone, do not back up until you have walked behind van to examine obstacles and are certain that you will not hit something.