- Please provide 18 letters printed on your departmental stationery stuffed into your departmental envelopes, ready to be mailed (Dean’s office will pay for postage). If you include other materials, you may need to use 9 x 12 envelopes rather than the traditional letter-size. DO NOT SEAL ENVELOPES.
- The first time you will meet your seminar students will be: The morning of Thursday, August 30, 2012, 9:45 a.m. in your assigned seminar classroom. Seminars will also meet at various other times during New Student Week (schedule TBA)
- Sign each letter personally and then fold and stuff the letters (and enclosures) in your department envelopes before they are sent to my office. DO NOT SEAL ENVELOPES.
- DO NOT DATE THE LETTER . . . this will allow flexibility with the actual mailing date.
- Welcome the new student to Redlands, and inform them of their placement in your seminar and your role as their professor and advisor. Offer a brief introduction of yourself and your seminar, and outline any assignment you would like them to complete before arriving to campus. Keep in mind the student may not receive your letter until early August so the assignment should be one that can be completed in a relatively short time frame. Let them know that you and the peer advisor will be working with them during new student week to choose classes for the fall semester.
- Introduce your peer advisor.
- Indicate that your first-year seminar will meet for the first time during New Student Week and then continue throughout the fall semester. Despite the repetition of this concept in many different places, some students still think the seminar meets only during NSW.
- PLEASE FORWARD YOUR LETTERS, STUFFED INTO YOUR DEPARTMENTAL ENVELOPES (BUT NOT SEALED), READY TO BE MAILED, TO DEBBIE CLARK IN THE DEAN’S OFFICE BY MAY 4.
If you have any questions regarding your seminar letter, call me at extension 8670 or email me at: Fredric_Rabinowitz@redlands.edu