Faculty Travel Expenses

Professional travel is central to faculty development. The Dean’s Office supports travel by allocating funds up to two requests per year. (If you have an additional request, it will be considered, depending on budgetary constraints.)

Faculty Travel Request Forms┬ácan be found on MyRedlands. They are to be filled out and submitted to the Dean’s office along with the conference fee schedule and at least two quotes for air travel. Completed forms can be submitted by email to the Dean’s Administrative Assistant or sent through intercampus mail to the Dean’s Office. The Dean must approve Faculty Travel Requests prior to the travel date in order to receive travel funds. Travel requests should be submitted as soon as possible as funds for each semester are limited.

After the request has been reviewed by the Dean it will be sent by email to the requesting faculty member and the department administrative assistant. Expense reports for approved travel expenses should be sent to the Dean’s office for reimbursement within 30 days of the return date and labeled as faculty travel expenses. The Dean’s Office will only reimburse up to the amount approved on the Travel Request. Funds approved in the category of other expenses can be used for transportation costs, food or miscellaneous expenses. They can also be applied to overages in airfare and lodging however savings in airfare or lodging cannot be used for other categories of expenses.

Professional travel is also supported from other funds. Endowed Chairs are asked to support their travel first from Endowed Chair program accounts. If Academic Affairs asks faculty to attend conferences, we support travel from the Dean’s budget. And, some funding is available through the Hunsaker Teaching Program.

The University has a long tradition of encouraging and supporting study abroad.

More than 47 percent of Redlands undergraduates participate in study abroad programs.

More »