First Year Journeys
What is a First Year Journey?
First Year Journeys are pre-orientation adventure trips designed to help students make connections and learn life skills before entering college at Redlands. Our seven trip options offer students a variety of course areas and activities so there is something for everyone. Each group will consist of ten students and two to three trip leaders. The cost for each trip is $425 with an opportunity to apply for a scholarship for the full amount (see FAQ's below). Follow the links for more specific information on each of the FYJ trips.
Why should I go on a First Year Journey?
First Year Journeys are designed to promote:
- A supportive relationship with peers
- A mentoring relationship with trip leaders
- A sense of community
- Readiness for college life
- Personal growth and reflection
- Leadership Skills
- A connection to the natural world
- Responsibility for self and others
- Decision making skills
- Challenge and discovery
- Self-awareness and self-confidence
- Access to resources & organizations available to you at Redlands
- Knowledge of activities and direct application of new skills
- For you to have the time of your life!
"This was a great way to meet friends before the school year started. An experience to last a lifetime!" Thank you so much, I couldn't imagine startin shool without having done and FYJ." - 2009 FYJ participants