Frequently Asked Questions

City of Hallstatt

Q: Can I earn credit while abroad? A: Yes. Students may receive credit towards graduation from the University of Redlands only if they participate in a program of study officially approved in advance by the Study Abroad Office. Students must apply to participate through the Study Abroad Office and must meet all deadlines. Any units earned outside of this prior approval process will not be applied toward the Redlands degree.

Q: Can I satisfy any Liberal Arts Foundation (LAF) requirements or major/minor requirements while abroad? A: It is the responsibility of all students to petition the Registrar for any course they wish to satisfy a LAF requirement and the major/minor department if they wish for a course to apply to the major. This should be accomplished prior to departure and should be secured in writing.

Q: Will the grades I earn abroad be factored into my University of Redlands GPA? A: Yes. Students accepted for off-campus study will retain official status as a University of Redlands student. All academic credits earned in an approved off-campus study program will automatically transfer back to the University of Redlands, will count toward the accumulation of credits for graduation, and will appear on the Redlands transcript.

Q: Can only certain majors study abroad? A: No. All programs are open to students regardless of major although some programs do have pre-requisites. Be sure to check with your advisor when planning where to study.

Q: Does the University of Redlands have its own program abroad?A: Yes. Since 1960, the University of Redlands has sponsored a unique program of study in Salzburg, Austria. The Salzburg Semester is characterized by a general humanities curriculum and offered in the context of group study and extensive travel opportunities.

The University of Redlands and the Johnston Center for Integrative Studies offers a program in Oaxaca, Mexico with a three-week trip to Guatemala.  The program includes intensive language, history, culture and an interdisciplinary course on globalization and tourism.  Another highlight of the program is the opportunity to work on an individual project of your own choosing.  This program is typically offered alternate spring semesters.

Q: Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad? A: No. Many programs are English-based or do not require prior study of the host language.

Q: How much will a semester abroad cost? A: The University charges UR students basically the same as a semester on campus, i.e.; room and board (standard double occupancy on-campus rate), tuition, and ASUR fee. These charges will apply for off-campus students regardless of their personal selections for room or board while on-campus in Redlands or that which is provided in their off-campus study program while abroad. The University will pay all required program fees for students participating in an approved program of off-campus study with the exception of mandatory health insurance required by some program providers.

Q: What will happen to my financial aid the semester I am abroad? A: If you receive Federal, State, or University of Redlands need-based financial aid, you will continue to receive all grants and scholarships (save work awards) during your approved semester of study abroad. Your financial aid package is based on University of Redlands fees.

Q: Am I able to study abroad for more than one semester? A: The policy of the University of Redlands is that approval for off-campus study is given for a single semester only and approval for a second term will be granted for only a very few exceptional cases. Students who wish to be considered for a full year of study must submit a petition to do so by December 1.

Q: Does the University of Redlands arrange my travel? A: The cost and arrangement of travel to and from the study site is the responsibility of the student. If a program includes airfare as a part of the program fee, the University will request that be separated out and directed to the student for payment. 

Q: Does the University offer any short-term travel options? A: Yes. During May Term, our faculty create a number of interesting and diverse travel courses. Travel courses are announced university-wide each October. 

Cogeneration Plant
Cogeneration Plant

The state-of-the-art power facility enables the University to produce a majority of its own energy and has reduced the campus’s carbon footprint by 33 percent.

Read More »