Not until 1946 did the University of Redlands name a live Bulldog as its official mascot. Before that time there were several dogs who served as unofficial canine representatives of the University.
An American Bulldog named General Haig
became the first live mascot in 1918, shortly after the University acquired the "Bulldogs" as their official nickname.
In the 1928 edition of “La Letra”, there are two photos of a puppy named Muggs
who may have served as the unofficial mascot after General Haig.
served unofficially as mascot between 1964 and 1965.
represented the University from 1972 to 1976.
This stocky dog was named Woody
and represented the University from 1989 to 1990.