Town & Gown Gold Awards of Distinction
The University of Redlands Town & Gown will kick off 30-year anniversary celebration. The University of Redlands Town & Gown is excited to announce its 2013 Awards of Distinction honorees Carol Koelsch Appleton, Carol Ann Franklin, Jessie Powell, Patricia Sandos and Jeffrey Waldron, all of whom will be honored at an elegant evening event March 16 at Orton Center on the University campus. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
- Carol Koelsch Appleton served as first lady at the University of Redlands for more than 20 years during the leadership of President James Appleton. She played a significant role in the work of the president’s office and was instrumental in raising the profile of the University. Carol is also an accomplished artist who has exhibited nationally.
- Carol Ann Franklin is a life-long educator. Now a retired faculty member of the University, Carol returned to teaching part time for the University’s School of Education. She also serves as the Director for the Partnership for Youth in Foster Care, where she is able to arrange different learning opportunities for these youth.
- Jessie Powell has shared her expertise as a certified public accountant with numerous nonprofit organizations as a volunteer. She has actively contributed to the Redlands YMCA and Soroptimist Club, donating her talent and her labor to their events. She also contributes her talents and energies to Family Service Association, the RCMA and Redlands branch of the American Association of University Women.
- Patricia Sandos is one who quietly exercises her considerable intellect and talents to better the community and develops new and interesting initiatives to help organizations thrive. She has been instrumental in the historical tours for fourth-grade students presented by the Heritage Auxiliary, and chaired the Smiley Library Gala which happens every four years. She has served on the board of the YMCA and has contributed her efforts to Town & Gown.
- Jeffrey Waldron is well-known for his tireless efforts toward securing and renovating the Mission Gables house just south of the Redlands Bowl. His work was key in the success of the project, which will now serve the community. He served two terms as president of the RCMA and is also involved in the Rotary Club of Redlands. Jeff is known as a man of quiet kindness, often doing good without drawing attention to himself.
For this 30th year of Town & Gown, the board decided to broaden the scope and purpose of its former Women of Distinction event to honor both women and men in the community who are making incredible and indelible contributions. Now celebrated in an elegant evening event with music, a seated dinner and no-host bar, this initial Awards of Distinction event will be hosted by beloved Drs. Larry Burgess and Nathan Gonzales. Guests will also have an opportunity to meet Town & Gown Endowed Scholarship recipients. Tickets are available online or by calling 909-748-8011. Membership in Town & Gown is appreciated but not necessary to attend this event. Deadline to reserve tickets is March 7.